1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

David likes this.
  2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Titan Fenrir still the king of air

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

What happened to the LGA775 results?

4. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

This thing looks like a mountainbiking shin pad or riot gear casing.

5. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think I'd choose this over the Fenrir now... Silence is Golden.

6. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Can we get a review of how the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2 stands up against this cooler and the Titan?

8. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Nice price, i'd still pay extra for a Corsair H50-1 though as nothing touches it!

9. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

You could have done a little extra with a more powerful fan or with the stock fan at full speed. I know it loses the point of a cooler being capable or not out-of-the-box but since you say that with a more powerful fan it could make Fenrir fear, it would be nice.

If that was proven true, Gelid could really make that extreme one. Think of it as Top Gear reviewing the Koenigsegg, they said if the car had a wing, it could fare much better. Later on, Koenigsegg followed TG tip and the car worked even better than the original wingless

10. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Any comments on how tall this sucker is? Considering it for a HTPC build and wondering if it will fit into an ARK 400BA.

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Mentioned right at the start of page 1. 153mm high from base to the tips of the heatpipes.

12. mycopia

mycopia What's a Dremel?

well if going up against the above why not vs akasa freedom tower too :) ?

13. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The main reason for me wanting to know about the Freezer 7 Pro is because the original was so popular and that the V2 has extra socket compatibility. I would hazard a guess that the majority of people with Core2 CPUs are running the Freezer 7 Pro if they haven't already upgraded. The V2 also hits a great price point too if the performance is up to it.

14. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Yeeeessssss, but how tall is the entire heatsink, eg. will it fit within the confines of the case after being mounted to the CPU.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well, simply add 153mm to the height of your CPU socket from the motherboard - difference cases have different sized standoffs - and then deduct it from the distance to your case side panel (minus any fans on it).

16. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Wow, ok, I read the original response all wrong. Not sure WHY, but for some reason I read it as 1.153mm and thought "tips of the heat-pipes" was referring to the small heat-sink component on the copper base...don't ask why, but thank you for the clarification. I'll shut up now.

17. MeanGreeny

MeanGreeny MeanGreeny

Would it be easy to fit a more powerful though quiet fan e.g. a gentle typhoon or maybe an S-Flex with a 3-4 pin adaptor to the MoBo PWM fan header ?.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The Titan Fenrir may be (one of) the best for air cooling. However, it weighs in at approx. 1.1Kg, which I find way too heavy for a cooler, no matter how it's mounted. Even the Tranquillo at 640g comes in a bit too much on the heavy side for my taste.

For what it's worth, I'm mostly interested in the best air cooler weighing around 500g, preferably using top-down cooling and using a mounting solution with a backplate instead of those horrid (Intel) push pins. Never could figure out why they abandoned the mounting method introduced with the P4.

19. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

Looks like this is my choice over the Fenner. A few quid cheaper, only a few degrees warmer, quieter. sold.

20. Jevon

Jevon What's a Dremel?

Quick question - I want to overclock the Intel G6950 on a LGA1156 chipset m/b. Will this cooler be up to the job, or do I have to go to the Fenrir?

AdvTHANKSance,

Jevon

Tags: Add Tags