1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC to make show-based games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Great - enter the resrial number of your tv license & get it free otherwise pay for it then it sounds good.

But it won't be that way, will it?

I'm all for BBC innovating & providing a value service for the people who are paying for it (simply in order to be legally allowed to have a television in the UK), but when so much of the programming & information service is bought in and/or of poor quality & they continue to overpay certain elements of the service citing market competition then I'm frankly unable to feel positive about this.

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Wish the bbc would just die already

4. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Let's hope Dr Who is an epic action RPG like Fallout 3 and Top Gear is a great racer like GRID. But that'll never happen lol

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Theres already a Dr Who game and an In the Night Garden game, created by FishinABottle. Online.

The Dr Who one is actually that bad.

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

A Flash based web game racing round the top gear track would be nice. I can't see a full game being better that existing race games though as the BBC can't throw that kind of money at it.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Thought you would already be able to drive the TG track on GT5?

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Flash game "rearrange clackson's face after he has tested the atom"

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

this sucks

there is no way these are going to be good

why is my license fee paying for this and BBC 4 etc

10. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

You should complain....Top gear doesnt need games...if it does even if they make a full production game itd be cheaper than some of the stuff they do with our liscence £

11. rollo

rollo Modder

The last game they made robot wars was really poor

Dout any of these will be better

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Allo Allo online, watch out WOW!

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

How in any way is this a good use of public money? Their job is to provide accurate and unbiased news (which they don't) and televisual entertainment for British citizens (which they do quite well). Such a gimmick :s

14. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Another f@€"/! gimmick pos. Give up on making games based on tv or movies, most are absolutely terrible.

15. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

this probably isn't being funded by our license fees you know - the bbc DOES have a commerical arm to it. what do you think they do with the money from dvd sales? and bbc world and bbc america etc - they have ads iirc.

having seen the quality of some of their online games and content, i'm actually quite interested to see what they produce.

thought EA and Yahoo as a background doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation to me.

the titles they've brought up though - all big with kids - top gear has a trading card game out at the moment firmly aimed at kids, and doctor who is huge with kids and has at least one spin off aimed squarely at kids... i expect these games to be aimed in the same direction and as such not to appeal to the 'gamers' that frequent this site

but at the end of the day (hate that phrase grr) anything the bbc does that brings in revenue other than our fees can only be a good thing as it means they're less likely to put it up as much as they otherwise would.

16. unklepepper

unklepepper What's a Dremel?

Quite right delriogw, this news comes from BBC Worldwide a commercial business that is in no part funded by the licence fee.

Worldwide does provide money for BBC programs in return for commericial rights. Without this money BBC television would be very **** rather than just mostly ****. Still better than the "other side" tho!

Good move I think, they have some great brands that will be no less rubbish as games than any other tie in.

I want some sort of Dr Who based monster shooter aimed at PC/PS3/360. You get to play as Cpt Jack and save the world while "dancing" with cute non psycotic monsters!

17. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

You can on rFactor :D

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

and pretty much any simbin racer

Tags: Add Tags