1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crysis 2 to be set in New York

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 25 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That "different type of jungle" comment a while ago was pretty obvious.... no surprizes here.

3. Hg

Hg The game known as life

i await Gunsmith's response....

4. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Fighting the north Koreans in the jungle on a pc exclusive title = fun.
    As soon as the aliens show up properly = boring.

Having just aliens in a city on a console = epic fail.

Suppose if you can scale tower blocks and snipe aliens out of any room you choose in said tower block, could be fun, as well as destroying buildings that you feel like destroying in order to fight aliens. Doing that sort of thing on a console I highly doubt.

5. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I never played the original Crysis, but it looks and sounds great.

However, two points regardless of consolisation.
    1) Alien invasion of Earth where only one man in a new armour and amazing guns can stop them. Hardly anything that hasn't been done before.

2) New York as a setting, if they make it free to roam then it could be good but if it ends up being quite linear then it will probably be rotten.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

this is starting to stench of disappointment

7. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Slow on the uptake guys, this was online days ago :p

8. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Apple? Like was that intended or am the only one that laughed?

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Forgetting the fears of consolification for a moment, I agree with the above.

The jungle/tropical island settings in the Far Cry games were cool, but later when the games move into the base corridors/alien ship, the game took a turn for the worse.

Fighting the mercs/koreans was fun, but when the Trigens/Aliens turn up, things start get a little boring.

So now they are removing the two elements that made the games work... I'll reserve judgement for the time being, but it's not the best build-up to a new game...

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

+1

I think it will go along the lines of FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

11. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

Hopefully by 2020 a Home PC will have been created that can actually play this on high settings

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

This has been discussed over at mycrysis, incrysis and crymod, only 2 screenshots have been released do date and there is still question over the validity of them, one of them "looks like" central park, the other is some alien looking think in the middle of a jungle scene.

having sat down and looked at the cryengine 3 a little closer its very impressive how it takes what you've built on technelogically superior pc and outputs downwards in realtime to the xbollocks and ps3. howeer I am still concerned.

Crytek doesnt answer to publishers so theres little to worry on that front plus they've always insisted on pushing the boundries of PC technology, again nothing to really worry about there either.

gameplay detail and linearity are my biggest concerns, Am I going to be left to my own devices to experiment and play with my new suit? or am I going to get GIANT BOLD HINTS TELLING ME I CAN USE MAX SPEED HERE OR MAX STRENGTH THERE?

Lets take Crysis and Crysis warhead as examples. same name but very different games, Crysis took the "**** you" stick and beatyou with it for running in without thinking where as Warhead shouted "HAVE MORE AMMO" shortly followed by "IMMA GONNA KICK THIS DOG!"

I think it'll be alright though in the end, theres more signs pointing to Crytek staying loyal to thier platform like currently Valve are,

still cant shake that nagging sensation tho :/

Last edited: 25 Jan 2010
  13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Buildings just dont offer the textures and body that a good bunch of trees do.. i suspect they have doen this to aid keeping graphics up as less textures to produce means more speed and as such a playable frame rate on a console...

Andy

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

already had that breakdown, was when i heard it was going multiplatform, still, id like to see someone with a joypad try play like me.

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Built for consoles? I hope they don't dumb down the PC graphics then.

16. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

So you guys are saying that the worst part of a game about Alien Invasion is the actual Alien Part, and that the elements that made an Alien Invasion game work were NOT fighthing the Aliens but the koreans, and fighthing NOT in the space ship or freezed world but in the tropical setting.

Then maybe you guys shud get a game about the Korean War or something and not so much an Alien Invasion one.

I think the game is overall really really good, the space ship and freezed world works great and fighthing the Aliens in the Aircraft Carrier is awesome, to the point you can "feel" the proportion or magnitud of the large scale invasion that is happening.

Knowing that the first game was a free open world, i have no doubts he sequel will be just like this, an open world caothic city will be great.

I can do nothing but wait and see what Crytek is gonna give us, hopefully they will show soething in this year's E3?

lets see :)

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

How exactly does this work story wise given the ending of Crysis?

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it doesnt, and a lot of people are asking that as well.

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

And in the concrete jungle, do we expect them to stay outdoors all the time? No, there will probably be huge segments in shops, subways & offices - reducing the game to a generic corridor shooter...

I don't recall there being a problem their. Nomad/Prophet/Psycho et all blew up the odd alien ship, but I suspect there would probably be more than one in existence and given that the aliens have been exposed, they no longer need to secrete themselves on any remote islands any more - why not NYC. Still it would have been more imaginative for the developers to choose Toronto, Jakarta or Caracas...

Having just finished Warhead, my lingering memories were of swarms of aliens streaming across the sky in a single direction... no reason they couldn't have all been heading stateside...

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

there where rumours about that there was gouing to be another expansion based around Prophet.

Tags: Add Tags