1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alan Wake PC officially cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

-.-

I was looking forward to this as well.

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Oh FFS

Given the original game was a halo child for the Quad core CPU this seems odd.

No doubt some excuse about piracy will be used.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

remember the hype when it was introduced.. alan wake will use all your cores XD whatever

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

MS are ditching the Windows version ... classic.

Next week they'll probably announce that Windows is no more and they are giving up the OS business to focus on 360.

6. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

Intimacy...
    Are you f*@king kidding me?

It's a game, I want to play it on my damn PC.
    Which, have you know is connected up to a big HD monitor, that I was going to sit back and play on using the damn Xbox controller.

This is bullcrap.

7. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I mentioned in the other thread that this is probably a thinly veiled reaction to the piracy of single player games, but I think this could start something worse.

I'm only speculating (and we probably won't know for quite a while) but I think this could be a turning point for the PC platform. The gaming industry is going to see Microsoft's "too intimate" comment for the nonsense it is, and presume that yet another PC gaming evangelist is jumping ship. Essentially if it's okay for Microsoft to ditch the PC, then why should they risk it?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's saddening just now many story driven, single player only games are avoiding the PC. With the sales numbers speaking for themselves, I just wish there was a way to entice publishers back to the PC (which doesn't involve MMO's or FPS's).

8. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

So it's Alan Wake Forever now, and when the console version arrives and you can finish it in a day, it'll be interesting to see the sales figures. Pick it up from Ebay in protest and deny MS the money, if you're going to bother at all.

9. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

Intimacy? Did they just pick a random noun from the dictionary and go with it? That's amongst the worst and most random justification for anything I'd ever heard. (Outside of court)

Utter shite. I hope it flops. Nothing more to say.

10. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I knew this was coming. Microsoft seem to like taking a dump on their own product. It seems silly for any game to be platform specific these days. Why limit yourself to one platform where with a little more work and planning from the beginning you could have sales on all 3 platforms.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

it is intimate. my keyboard is covered in pubes.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Dear Microsoft,

The PC is more intimate, yes. That's why I like it. That's especially why I'd like it for a game like Alan Wake, where a lot of work has presumably gone into the plot and characters and story. I want to fully immerse myself in that and I want to be intimate with the fiction. I don't see why you think it is better to provide a less intimate experience, where I'm not as involved with or attached to the characters. You're essentially saying that you want people to play it on the Xbox 360 so that they can like it less?

There are a lot of good reasons to avoid a PC release. You might be worried about piracy. You might decide you want to target a more casual audience, or that the game is of a type which just wouldn't work well with a keyboard. You might just want to give the Xbox 360 a highly anticipated These reasons are fine. Please though, don't treat me like an idiot and don't just make things up. Give the real reason and respect your audience more.

Also, make GFWL actually work or just GTFO.

Yours,
    Joe Martin

:worried:

Last edited: 12 Feb 2010
  13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

no surprise there, really

14. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

no PC = FAIL
    so no suprise ;)

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

**** it.

16. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

LMAO!!!

What's the saying?
    Something about counting chicks before they hatch???

Its a game. Its their game. Until it is released it is not for any platform. Of course I am just as disappointed as many others are as I do not and will not have an Xbox 360 so I won't be playing Alan Wake now. But so many people are reacting like they have had their favourite toy ripped away from them. PC gaming will continue... or it won't. Crying about it certainly won't change anything. It baffles me that people seem to think that these companies have a responsibility to us. THEY DO NOT. They DO have a responsibility to themselves as a company and to their shareholders. They also have a responsibility to the people who actually BUY the games they produce, represented as patches and fixes for bugs and errors but that is it. Until we hand over our money we mean nothing to them.

17. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

This move by Microsoft doesn't surprise me one bit.

While other developers are seeing the financial benefits of going multiplatform, Microsoft are getting more and more desperately obsessed over the sales of XBOXs.

The only surprise I got from this story is the BS explanation the spokesperson gave. It's incredible that someone with half a brain could give this crap 'intimacy' excuse and expect people not to say BS.

It's a good job most of the games I like are on PC, because I would be p1ssed!

18. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

very poor reasons imo, OK the PC platform will no doubt suffer more piracy, and on the 360 they gain greater profits. But come on, if you're going to axe a game give a proper reason for it! When is a single player game not intimate?

Idiots

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I don't see how it would be a turning point. This is a trend which has been steadily increasing for a number of years, and if it was a turning point, then surely GoW 2 or Halo 3 (which were even bigger titles than this) would have been too?

20. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

while im inclined to moan, im not all that worried. I have a 360 and a 50" tv. I do prefer pc gaming but the 360 isnt all that bad and I increasing find myself using the 360 in windows anyway.

Tags: Add Tags