1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic using Unreal to strengthen PC games market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

"Unreal Engine 4 is designed for the day we get massively multi-core processors," Rein said.

This sounds exciting, indeed :)

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

TBH I kinda like being able to play everything at high res on a £400 PC lol. If it looks good tho and plays well ill be happy either way.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Just having an Unreal engine that lets me have Anti Aliasing on ATI hardware would be nice........

5. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Well the competition brought 1 excellent PC developer into the industry in Tripwire so it's a fair assumtion that they care about the PC despite the early failings of the Unreal 3 engine and UT3. I think also making the engine free or with a percentage commercial arrangement is also a testament to this.

I hope that the team behind the fantastic Haunted can go commercial with it.

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Am I the only one who takes issue with the "massively multi-core processors" part of this? Do we really need 16 processing cores and 4 graphics cards in a Personal Computer? Should we?

One downside of this hardware revolution is that some developers are getting sloppy IMO, and not optimizing their code as much as they could. The result is media players that struggle on a 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 32M on-board graphics system. Don't get me wrong, I love the cool new things that are being done with software at the moment, but I dread the day when we will need to move on from our core 2 duo's because iTunes takes 2 minutes to load and stutters when playing. Just because I have 4GB of RAM it doesn't make it ok for notepad to take up 3GB!

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If you went back a few years, people would say exactly the same sort of things about your current PC. I'll agree with you on sloppy coding though, though some people still optimise well (take Dead Space for example).

9. Deadpool46

Deadpool46 What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, that's not how I read the article, "locate new talent and strengthen the PC games market".

Surely they just want the mod community to continue so they can hire developers for their console games. When was the last PC game from Epic? Where is GOW 2 or Shadow Complex?

If there is a dip in the PC games market maybe they shouldn't call their customers pirates (http://www.everyjoe.com/articles/cl...ing-to-pc-calls-savvy-pc-gamers-“pirates”-81/) and start supporting the platform by releasing some games on it.

10. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Fair enough but we need some updates to the engine, such as Hor+ behaviour and native AA.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

QFT

when i first started reading this i was thinking wtf? epic have shown numerous times in the recent past that they have nothing but sneering contempt for pc gamers, now all of a sudden they're heading the charge in the modding community? cliffy b must be sat in an office somewhere trying to think up his next reason to piss us off after all this love

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Anyone remember Epic's last comment about PC gaming...we're all pirates apparently.

Bit of a U-turn here!

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I'm sorry if my post sounded like "640K is all anyone will ever need", that wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point is that, unless there is a good reason why your application needs 2GB of RAM, it should not take up 2GB of RAM.

I remember playing videos and mp3's with full-screen visualisation in Winamp3 on a first-gen P4@1.4GHz with 128MB RAM and a 32MB TNT something-or-the-other graphics card. It was beautifully smooth, didn't stutter at all, the library was responsive even with 3000+ songs and it took less than 5 seconds to start. What is it that modern media players do over and above that to justify taking 10s+ to start on a modern, mid-range system with multiple cores and GBs of RAM?

14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Well let me ask, is Rein referring to CPUs or GPUs?

We already have 4 physical core CPUs that can run 8 threads and the next step up is due anytime soon. We also have GPUs with hundreds of processing cores (nVidia) or thousands of processing cores (ATi) depending on the architecture. Not to mention the multicore CELL processors within a PS3, so what exactly is the definition of 'massively'?

So they believe they (Epic) will develope a monster of a games engine and then hobble it like a 96 year old lady with arthritis on sleeping tablets just so they can make and release a game that runs what ever the console hardware of the time is, despite the PC intentions.

What a load of bull... Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz.

15. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

The bad coding is a problem especially for people like me who often play the same game for a couple of months and prefer to listen
    to their own music collection then the game sound tracks. I:E: have Winamp or WMedia playing in the background. But nothing compares to Office programmers. Since when does Text document editing need more then a few megabytes of memory and more then 200 MHz cpu? Its just texts for gods sake. My ancient Nokia can handle text with spell check and bold/Italic/underline and does not even come close to 1GHz.

16. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Quite frankly if the treatment EPIC have handed out over the past couple of years is looking after the PC market we would be much better off with that kind of help. UE3 is a terrible engine as a whole product, yes it did some clever things but it also took massive steps backwards in other fields. If epic want to concentrate on massively multicore then can they please **** off to the console field and leave behind the people who know how to code efficiently.

17. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Hmm so they want to keep pc gaming popular because of the modding comunity...as someone already said "so where is gears of war 2, eh Epic ??"

I can play high def 1920x1080 videos without a hitch on a very moderate win 7 system.

18. DiegoAAC

DiegoAAC What's a Dremel?

What Rein mean to say was: "Unreal Engine 4 is designed for the day when Intel pay us to release 2 games that only work on Larrabee and then jump ship to consoles"

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

+1

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

And yet, as much as I hate the guy and the company for being traitors, I still got slightly excited when I saw "Unreal Engine 4", hoping for a (real) UT game to come out ... I'm a beat up wife and Epic is my basterd of a husband

Tags: Add Tags