1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Tomb Raider will only have online release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

I've played most of them and I can’t help but love them, from the first on the original Playstation.
    Not sure if the digital download will put me off, it seems to work for most of the steam games.

3. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

lol any excuse to use that picture!

4. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

why? I prefer getting something when I buy something for 35 euro, not just a key.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i think people are looking for a bit more than run and jump and climb nowadays i cant see this being a success unless they bring in a form of character development in

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

With current € prices on Steam and unable to order it from an UK retailer, will not touch it.

7. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Boobies....

8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

It's cheaper for the companies to send it online, as opposed to creating millions of CD's, cases, manuals and paying for delivery. And also they can sell it for a better price. I won't be suprised if within a year or two most major releases on the PC will be like this.

9. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

digital downloading doesn't bother me but dropping the tomb raider name could be going in the
    wrong direction. when you have a sucessful product you don't screw with it. changes in the story
    line is one thing but not using the game name tr I'm not so sure.

10. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Why do I have the tomb raider comments on this?

I'm on the CoD news page.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep. But Steam fails on that.
    Imperial version of NTW was cheaper in the UK retailers than the regular edition of NTW in Steam.

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Crystal dynamics stated in their forum that they are working on '2 projects' and that this is just one of them. So i'm not sure what this is yet.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

All games and software are going download only, I can not remember the last time I bought a boxed game. Get with it, its 2010, and stop using XP, lol!

14. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

It is 2010, but I can still drive down to the nearest brick-and-mortar (I live about 30 miles outside of town), buy a game, drive home, install it, and be playing loooong before I can download it, even with broadband - I could even cook and eat dinner in that time too and beat the download. There is a place yet for retail boxes. And no I haven't used XP for quite a while :)

15. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

Considering most new games are getting very large (greater than 10GB is becoming the norm) and that most internet connections will have a limited bandwidth per month, only the most 1337 of people with their expensive limitless and fast connections are going to be able to make use of a digital release. For me, I have a 40GB monthly limit, and because of my distance to the exchange, I have a pretty slow connection speed. There is no way that I'd want to waste a huge chunk of my potential monthly bandwidth on one game, and then to have it download so slowly that I'd need to keep my PC running for a couple of days (which I would just never do). If all PC games go this route, then I won't be buying any games again. Ever.

16. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

You do realise that it is possible to make backups of steam games? You buy the key, and have a mate download the files for you.

17. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I couldn't agree more. Plus given the choice between paying more for a boxed copy or a digital one, I will pick digital everytime. i'm also the kind of person who would rather buy a CD than download the MP3, even though I rip the CD into MP3s in the end anyways.
    I agree that there is still a place for retail copies. Especially special editions with bonus stuff like art books etc, i am a sucker for that sort of thing and will always pay more for it.

18. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I just wish Eidos would let them off the leash for some legacy of kain but oh no, they build anther tomb raider game, which at the time of kain were destroyed by the story telling.

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

It's like the DRM issue again though, that's a lot of faffing around and jumping through hoops for something which should be as easy as going to the shop.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

last one was memorable.. the part where you were in the stone chamber and had to move the mayan statues around

Tags: Add Tags