1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hands on with 6-screen ATI Eyefinity

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 10 Mar 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I want to have a go of Grid on that setup! Eyefinity seems really good technology which will be better once monitors with no bezels or very slim bezels are released.

Good article! :)

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The bezels ruin it for me. Honestly I could never put up with that.

If I wanted a screen like that, I'd be looking into rear-projection systems.

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

QFT

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ditto

I think I'd rather stick with my lovely 3007WFP-HC. I admittedly sit too close to it when gaming and it fill my vision up nicely. In fact, when I've been on holiday, I tend to get motion sickness for a few minutes as I get used to it again!

And I can always get the Eyefinity experience by getting some gaffer tape and arranging it in a grid pattern on my screen :p

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

6 1080p or 720p rear-projection systems in Eyefinity mode (CPC did do an rear-projection review in the last mag or 2) most of them do allow adjustment of borders

8. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Interesting article, I have a similar setup at home using nvida cards and SoftTH for a number of games such as Need for speed : Shift which looks rather stunning and imersive, along with the likes of most if not all source engine games.

However having checked the ati compatability list I do notice some flaws, such as source engine games are listed as full pass, which the HUD although it does not stretch it does not align on the centeral screen('s).

Although there are currently HUD mods floating about to fix this issue, the creation of the mods is not an easy task by hand, specially when you need a custom mod for anyone whom will be using bezel correction to ensure the bezel is taken into account when modding the hud.

As such I have recently been creating a tool to do just this which will work out the apest ratio of a bezel compensated display and then work out how many monitors the HUD needs to be shifted by to be realigned back into the center display, this may be found here... Aspect Ratio Calcualtor and Source Engine HUD editor
    The site is stilla work in progress atm, a beta if you will, however the concept and the scripting is all in place and working well :) with just the need to add some extra games to the supported list. I have also created a FOV calculator with support for bezel correction to work out what the new correct FOV should be when using multiple screens. :)

EDIT - Tool is now live and can be found here.
    Dev thread for the tool.

Here is a better 6 monitor setup/solution ;)
    Although lower in specs to most monitors, the concept of it is nice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Jun 2010
  9. clx

clx What's a Dremel?

CCP showed EVE running on Eyefinity at their fanfest abour 3-4 months ago on 3 monitors.
    Not sure if its officialy supported or not, as i only have 2 missmatched (24" and 20") monitors im not that bothered.

Once monitors start coming out with no bezels just for this type of set up, i will start getting interested.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

give me 30 inch monitor any day. or a projector for large scale gaming.

im sorry, but i don't believe in multi-monitor just as much as 3D vision, or 120Hz monitors. they are all gimmick.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol....i could never get used to the thin wires 'just' visible on the screen with my old Mitsubishi Diamond Pro CRT....so i don't think i could ever put up with all these bezels...

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

those NEC monitors are awesome, id love to get my mitts on one but at 3K a go, ouch :(

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I can understand ultra wide eye infinity (3*1), but this 6 (3*2) screen version effectively comes down to having a large screen. If you want a large screen then why not just buy one (or put a smaller one closer too you which will have the same effect)?

Today I can stick some racing game on my xbox 360 and sit close to my 40 inch tv and get basically the same effect only without the bezels ruining the view, the high cost, and all the hardware and software complexities. Sure I loose resolution but in a fast moving racing game it doesn't matter that much.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Concept is great but before bezel-less monitors arrive and prices adjust themselves: No, thanks.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd much rather have a 30" screen. And for the money of those screens I'd MUCH rather have 30" and a full HD projector. I really, really don't miss huge resolution for gaming, let alone wish to pay for all the GPU firepower to feed games at those resulitons.

It's just a hugely expensive toy for all I care.

16. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Since there are a couple of manufacturers out there who support both landscape and portrait displays would it not make sense to have a number of large, say 30" portrait style displays which not only improves your peripheral vision but also gives you a wealth of vertical real estate.

If each 30" monitor was running at 1920x1080 then with 6 of them set up in portrait you would still have an effective resolution of 6480x1920 compared to the 5760x1080 using the 3x2 monitor setup in this article which means even more screen real estate!

17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Personally, I can't see the point. I have my PC and PS3 connected to the same 40" LCD TV. Sure the resolution isn't as high as a dedicated pc monitor but then I sit almost 12 feet away from the screen

18. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I can't see playing an fps on a 6 screen set up, most of the time your crosshair is on the bezel border. Now 9 screens would be a different matter. One question, with Acer's £500 3D capable projector would it be possible to combine the two?

Also I'd like to see developers make better use of multi monitor configurations. In an RTS give the option to use one screen for the map and a second for everything else. What bugs me most is that if I have a game maximised on one screen and click on say an IM client or weblink on the second screen the game minimises. Same with most online video. Probably needs MS to sort this with graphics companies.

I think a single large 2160p display would be sufficient but I'll stick to my 50" 1080p Plasma for big screen gaming for now.

19. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Fixed + 6x 1080p in landscape/portrait gives you exactly the same real estate of a 3x2 display, it's just in a different shape, but you have the same number of pixels ;).

20. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Seems like 3 bigger monitors mounted at 90' would do a better job - also you could play FPS without your crosshair being a lump of plastic...

Tags: Add Tags