1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel-Micron doubles flash capacities

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Come one price drops! That SSD is nearly within reach!

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

As long as they can supply enough to meet demand. Any lack of supply will push prices up.

4. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i will buy an ssd when the size is aceptable with a good price untill you can get a 1tb ssd for £100 im not going to buy one (1 tb mechanical hdd nly costs £58 and in custom pc mag, there was a 2tb one for £99

5. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I would be happy with the high performance SSD's at 30Gb or larger, as long as the 30 started at aprox $100 US.
    But if they can drive down the cost of the older drives, I do see this as good development progress.

6. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I think that will be a long way away.

I will adopt at 256GB for around £200. That way its the same price as a decent graphics card, and has enough space for OS and Games.

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I'd probably have to wait till it drops to like, 12nm in order to afford one... >.>

8. GW42

GW42 What's a Dremel?

Really? They obviously don't read tech sites then - http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3731 - announced 2 months ago :)

(EDIT - ok 1 1/2 months ago. & apologies if I have missed a blindingly obvious difference between the 2 stories...)

9. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I wouldn't mind buying 128GB for £150, but £300 is stupid. I can afford to buy one now but no way will I spend that much! I think the whole SSD thing is a conspiracy at the moment and companies are artefically inflating the prices buy not producing cheaper NANDs and very few so that the first few years they will earn lots of money without manufactuing lots.

10. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Screw nand, i want a 25nm CPU!

11. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Exactly, £200 for 256 seems a fair trade between price per gig/performance.
    Crucial started with their M225 series, offering good performance for a reasonable cost, only for the nand manufacturers to raise the pricing of nand chips, meaning Crucial raising their prices. Their 128GB was originally £200, which 6 months ago was good, only to see it hit £300+ in todays market :(

Also, 1TB SSD?? you can get them, but wanting them for £100, not on your nelly, well not until SSD's stop mechancial drives from being manufactured.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Nope, spot on mate.

This was officially announced some time ago now, 25nm, larger capacity production Q2, available around Q4.

Why so late off the mark BT?

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

thing is with vista and win 7 superfetch.. the stuff you use a lot is cached- really for boot times and who cares about that =] I dunno maybe I'm too cynical anymore but if the prices don't compare to drives out (that last)- not going to jump in.. same with the quad, I still don't see anything where I need to upgrade- esp with things moving to the gpu.. it's like raid, don't really care much about it either.. just more things to go wrong and anything like a database you'd want on a harddrive anyway

when the prices come down some I'll jump into a 256.. but until then really no benefit.. you'd probably put your games on a harddrive also to save writes to the ssd- I guess maybe to impress someone with boot times and shut down woopee =] least acronis lets you select drives into one backup if you want- so that's covered least..

I'd get one if it wasn't 30 gb for 90 bucks right now on newegg (probably all you need for the os partition) reading about them and firmware updates cause complete data loss? disable system restore, indexing ect.. waiting till all this gets solved and prices aren't so high

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Mea culpa - it's only just come to my attention. I must have missed the original announcement, otherwise I'd have written about it then.

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

25nm! Holy-****. There isn't many numbers left..lol. What's it gonna be in a few years, Micro Nanometer?

16. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

No, no conspiracy.....a traditional hard drive costs around the same price to manufacture regardless of the storage size; where as an SSD is dependent on the price of the individual chips that go up to make the drive. So for example a 128gb drive might contain 64 chips that cost the manufacture $5 each to buy in depending on NAND prices at the time.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well, there are some components that will cost the same regardless. Such as the plastic housing, the controller, the PCB that everything is stuck on, the SATA and power ports, etc. The price can never go below these no matter how small you go, just like mechanical drives all must have a housing and read/write heads etc, with varying amounts of platters or varying capacities on those platters changing costs between total capacities.

The "conspiracy" with SSDs is the NAND manufacturers charging far more for their product than it costs to produce.

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I just bought a 34nm 80 X25 :/

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

yes yes price drops and higher capacities. ^_^

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And thanks to the manufacturers working together we even get legalized price fixing...

When even a crippled 40GB SSD that is called "value" costs almost 100£ something is definitely wrong.
    Lucky me for jumping on the ssd bandwagon early enough to avoid the price increases, but upgrading to a bigger one is currently just not possible.

Tags: Add Tags