1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Motherboard Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 25 Mar 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

Thats a sweet product!

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm building a £600 PC for a friend at the end of this month. Looks like I'll be using this motherboard.

4. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I like this board, with the F8 BIOS it becomes a decent board for Clarkedale CPUs rather than being restricted to Lynnfield as it was before. Probably my favourite P55 board, definitely the price/performance winner, go for it unless you need loads of expansion slots and USB/SATA3.

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Um, I ended up having to skip to the end to work out that it was a LGA1156 board, any chance this information could be on the front page (maybe next to the price) on reviews?

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

still got a P31-DS3L purring along after 2-3 years here, its been running a Q6600 @ 3.2 for all that time too. gigabyte have always been best at the budget overclocker to my mind and when i do finally feel the need to upgrade i'll probably go with them again. having had an asus die on me and having to deal with their uk customer services, wont be bothering again.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ah yes, we should have included a Feature List. This was forgotten :duh:

However in our defence, it is P55 and has several photos of the CPU socket :blush:

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

About time you got this review up! :p It's pretty much the only board I'm considering, with the H55-UD2H as the alternative if I can't splash for the i5 750

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

10. messabit

messabit What's a Dremel?

Hi, can anyone tell me if a pci card in the UD2 would ruin the airflow for the graphics card. If it's an issue then I'm going for the GA-P55M-UD4 as that board's slot configuration would give me a wider space.

11. ChiperSoft

ChiperSoft What's a Dremel?

I coulda sworn you guys have reviewed this board before... I bought it a few months ago because of it's recommendation on this site.

12. Primoz

Primoz What's a Dremel?

How cna the P55M-UD2 have an improved layout over the H55M-UD2, if the P55M is older? Or is there a new revision out (which doesn't seem to be the thing).

13. nia-desu

nia-desu goddess of the clocks

What exactly makes this one of the greatest motherboards of all time? It costs the same and performs the same as the Gigabyte H55M-UD2H, and loses onboard graphics capability. Why wasn't the H55 variant given the same distinction, when they cost the same, and perform and OC almost identically?

I got an Gigabyte H55M-UD2H from newegg in the united states for 70$ just a few weeks ago.

14. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Put one of these in a box for a pal a few weeks ago; nice to see one's decisions confirmed.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've never done it and we've thrown dozens of CPUs at our board with overclocking tbh. It's more likely a bad MOSFET popping than having too few phases - ala MSI P55 budget motherboards, of which we've blown up two and have seen other publications do the same.

17. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Tell me about it. I'd never bought a mobo or built a system before I bought this board to go with my i5-750 in November. Lo and behold about two weeks later the combo started appearing in the What Hardware guide and is still there now.

I love myself. Haven't even tried overclocking it yet.

For any other first-time buyers considering the board, I can report the size of the board did not pose me any problems when installing it or the other components - I've got it in an Antec 300 case.

18. bertybenno

bertybenno What's a Dremel?

It's good to see that you've had good reliability with the one your using i wasn't so lucky,
    mine died 3 days ago i've rma it to ocuk, i think the MOSFET popping you mention went on mine,every time i ran prime 95 (with the oc settings artical in issue 77) i had a hissing/ buzzing noise when all cores were 100%, when not running prime it was fine though. I've had stability probs recently so run prime the hissing/buzzing was still there but only ran for approx 10mins then pc just shut right down,would'nt start or even post (tried swapping memry sticks and removing components one by one,cmos reset no luck) it's just stuck in a looping start for two seconds then shutting down then doing same again.

One query i have is the online article running 4.1ghz: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/03/25/gigabyte-ga-p55m-ud2-motherboard-review/2
    :cooldude:

The voltage settings in the bios are the same as oc settings artical in issue 77 for 3.8ghz,
    I'll trust your judgement that this is required for 3.8ghz oc

Tags: Add Tags