1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Best Buy to open first UK store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

No commission and a 30 day price promise sounds very much like John Lewis. I wonder how the British company will react?

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

YAY more job's!
    looking forward to one in my area.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I've been wondering when the Soton store would open as I've driven past it multiple times now.
    I'll sure go and have a poke around once its open. Also nice to see DSG getting some competition as a high-street electronics retailer.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

If it drives prices down then I can't object. And part exchanging old tech is nice idea.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

it would be nice to have a walk in store you can buy components that is competitive, id certainly use it to save postage and OMG WAIT time

7. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

ehem...BOMB IT, BOMB IT dear God BOMB IT! http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/best_buy_clarifies_stance_syncing_service_3d_glasses

And that's just one instance of the evil Juggernaut that is Best Buy. No good will come of them entering your country. Everything in those damn stores is overpriced right down to their F'ing chewing gum at the check out counter. Their customer service is deplorable and don't even get me started on their "techs". They know less about how to hook up a TV than my 3 year old son.

8. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Aslong as they don't operate a landgrabbing anti-unionist stance such as ASDA / Walmart....Oh wait...Bestbuy has been discouraging its employees from joining unions as it "hinders communication between employees and the company, which reflects upon our customer base".

Last edited: 29 Mar 2010
  9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I wouldn't believe the hype. However, interesting times for Comet ... bless them.

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Listen to the American! He seems to know what he's saying!

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

BURN IT WITH FIRE!!

If you want to buy a 240GT at $140 then be happy, otherwise run away.
    Best Buy is overpriced, their floor staff don't know ****, and I was almost kicked out of a store once for "harassing other customers" when I was helping an older gentleman buy a wireless router and I recommended one that he bought that was a lot less expensive ($100 less expensive) than what the sales rep was trying to sell him.

12. Embattle

Embattle What's a Dremel?

Most retailers dumped commission based sales a while a go, this however still doesn't result in no pressure selling as the simple reality is that no high street retail stores make much money on the products but instead make money on the services etc.

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

My condolences, Britain.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Well it's starting to sound more like PC World every minute lol.

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

oh you poor people. Stay away from this shthole of a store. Yes, they don't have any commission but their salary is still based on their selling performance so they still insist just as much as in any other store

Best Buy was undoubtedly the worst experience of my life (as a job, not a shopping experience).

Ironically the Canadian division (Future Shop) is better and has more choice in pretty much everything, plus they're not dressed in stupid retarded blue and yellow but in black and red. A few years ago Best Buy decided they wanted their name on the Canadian market so they opened a Best Buy store right next to every Future Shop they could build next to, which means that if one store doesn't have what you want, you walk across the street and go buy in the other one ...

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

ah well, i'll stick with ebuyer then

17. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

As an a resident of the U.S. I ask that you try your best not to judge us based on the horrid experience that is best buy. The only good thing I can say about them, is the magnolia home theater section in some of the stores is quite nice. It's a separate dark area with all the nice home theater gear so you can try it out in a more realistic environment, and comfy chairs as well!

18. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm sure I drove past a best buy in London yesterday.

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you can find deals in there from time to time.. like ours has a box with old computer gear/cards-sometimes you can find some things

nowdays have to say they are pretty bad with pricing compared to what you can get online.. didn't used to be like that.. the techs are a bunch of a+ certs who are trained to do nothing but sell- do not trust =] they run a service called the geek squad.. it should be called the saddle popper squad

if you have a microcenter in the uk, much better- good prices rival etailers and the employees are a bit more informative if you need to ask questions.. guess the bar is a little higher to work there

20. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

Even though it's not commissioned based, they will still have targets to hit to gain a % bonus. These are usually based on selling things like extended cover, finances etc.

Tags: Add Tags