1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME apologises for stock mix-up, offers refunds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Is that photo a typical example of what people got ? If so that raises the question of why they have stock like this in the first place !

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No, just a random pic that seemed relevant.

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I used to work in game. Getting a sealed copy from the store is rare as they tend to gut the boxes of games when they come in and just store the sleeves, manuals and discs to save on space (and occasionally scratch brand new games! yay!). When you buy a game they then take the gutted contents and stick it in an empty relevantly sized box. I'd imagine this is what has happened here, only with shipping stock to mail order customers.

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Yea i never like it when they do this :/

I like my boxes/discs pristine, call me picky but i do!

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I use their online service and I usually get sealed copies. I suspect that's because they come direct from the warehouse instead of a shop.

I have always found Game to be highly efficient and professional. As they are being now by replacing or refunding those who want it and apologising. Hardly seems news worthy really.

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

retail is dead.

Long live steam.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Unlikely in this scenario tbh. The stock send out via mail order would come directly from a central (or regional) Distribution Centre. Most stock at the DC would be sealed (as there is no point in splitting it out logistically). In store though the cases / contents are split to prevent theft.

I can only assume that used stock got into the normal stock pool in the DC and hence was picked in error for customers.

9. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

"pleased to replace it or refund it, subject to our normal terms and conditions", that does not sound to me like a full refund. Their normal terms and conditions usually state if the product has been opened/used you are not entitled to a refund*
    So if the have sold customers an already opened game, how are they going to prove the customer didnt open it / copy it and now is trying to return it... I guess they can't.

*let just prentend they are right and you are not legally entitled to a refund on an open product.

10. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

+1
    I though exactly the same when I read that sentence. Instead of saying, "pleased to replace it or full refund it", no! They go all high and mighty with their normal terms and conditions that can be summarized in one sentence.... Rip off!

11. bakerman34

bakerman34 What's a Dremel?

sounds very dodge to me folks

12. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I always got irritated when Game/Gamestation put the disc/manual from the drawer in the display box. I like my games to come in a sealed box, in the cellophane. Always buy from the little independent in town or play.com now.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

A bit cynical. I bet you that if you were one of those affected and you explained this, they would replace or refund you with no problems what-so-ever. They have to say all the bowlocks so they are covered and to give them a way out from fakers.

14. Niode

Niode What's a Dremel?

Doesn't matter one jot. We are covered by the sale of goods act anyway. If the game is not fit for purpose or is not in the same condition as sold they have to refund you no question. I bought a couple of PS2 games from Game when they started putting those purple stickers on them, if anybody goes into Game regularly will know, they state that you can't return the game or get a refund within 28 days if the seal is broken. It's complete crap to placate dumb consumers who will be spoon fed any sort of crap. I got a bunch of games from there when they were pushing the rest of their PS2 stock at cheap prices. A couple of the games didn't work. I took them back wanting a full refund (they didn't have any replacements, for obvious reasons) they refused because the sticker wasn't on them. I showed them the receipt. They advised me that by breaking the sticker voided my rights to a full refund. I calmly told them that was a load of crap, I quoted the sale of goods act at them. They called for the manager. He came to the till, looked at the receipt, apologised and gave me a refund.

As long as we have the sale of goods act we are protected. Know your rights people!!
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/the-sale-of-goods-act/

Tags: Add Tags