1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI, AMD 890GX and Core Unlocking

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If this is the sort of reporting we're going to get from Tiwan, then I'm glad you're out there Rich.
    um, that sounded nicer in my head...

So why doesn't Intel try selling triple core CPUs? (or other CPUs with failed cores)

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

sweeet :) i'd set my hopes on this board but after your original review i'd started looking elsewhere
    I'll def pick one up now, throw it in a lian li v35ib with 2x5770's

4. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Possibly because they don't need to.
    They have such a span of price points, that releasing a quad with a failed core, at a discounted price, would tread on the toes of one of their other CPU's.

On topic, the new bios looks great, and seems to help push AMD back towards a possible alternative to the Intel route

5. dec

dec [blank space]

Um rich

14 * 200 = 2800

14 * 240 = 3360

3360 - 2800 = 560, not 536 like on the 1st page.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It did but I still agree. :thumb:

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

So, in spite of this being potentially a good board now (assuming performance doesn't degrade when ironing out the last few bugs) this board or even the ASUS one won't actually make it into the buyer's guide. I'm eyeing up an AMD system now, but only because the cost of CPU + motherboard + RAM is small. If motherboard manufacterers can't get a cheap overclocking board with core unlocking out the door I'll only be looking at the last generation of boards.

8. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

why wouldn't it make it into the buyers guide?

note: how about a SFF section in the buyers guide Bit-tech?

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

[eurl=http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/03/02/asus-m4a89gtd-pro-usb-review/1]Asus M4A89GTD[/url]
    last page remove the e from the brackets

10. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

It won't make it into the buyer's guide because AMD only make it into the budget build, and this board isn't budget. It might be an ok buy for someone who already has an AMD setup, or when Bulldozer comes, but right now Intel have them beat on performance for value at the higher price points.

11. Primoz

Primoz What's a Dremel?

'Radeon 5870 1 GB' My ass, that's a Lightning ^^

12. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

M4A78LT-M LE: unlocks 550, runs and overclocks 1055T, probably unlock 960T too.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's what I said in the text. It was clocked down to stock speeds.

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

That board's a 760G, like I said manufacterers need to do something with the new 8xx series to get them up to the same level of funcionality as the 7xx series. Almost all the 7xx series had core unlocking, but now only a handful of 8xx series have it. What's the point of trying to save money with AMD and unlocking cores if you now have to buy one of the top end motherboards to get that feature?

Still, this doesn't really bother me. The only thing the 8xx series brings that I might want is USB3, and I haven't got a USB3 device and don't see myself getting one for a good while yet. I'll be happy getting a 7xx series when I come to upgrade (and spend the cash I save on a beefier GPU ^^)

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Is there a review comming of the Asrock 890GX Extreme3? It's cheaper, looks better and has a unlocking chip.

I wonder about the performance compared to the Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H, MSI 890GXM-G65 and Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

16. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

ASUS in talks with nvidia for SLI licensing on 890FX?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...rmula-am3-890fx-motherboard-sneak-peak-3.html

Hopefully 890FX will bring stability and a performance edge to the 4GHz x6 overclocks happening in secret labs throughout the hardware community as we speak.

Unlocking was 'blocked' on 890 for the same reasons as that bloke left a next gen Apple in a tech journo's lap. To get us talking about it and drum up AMD sales.

17. Cyberpower-UK

I think you just answered that!

760G boards are dirt cheap.

18. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

My whole point is that you can get a cheap 7xx series board with core unlocking, but if you want the latest 8xx series you have to splash out to get that feature. If I do end up getting AMD, I'll definitely be looking at something like the M4A78LT-M LE with the 760G chipset. I'd prefer to get a similar model of an 8xx series though, but there's no point without core unlocking.

19. Cyberpower-UK

Cheap low end 800 series board with unlocking and turbo tweaks will follow the high end stuff that's about to launch.

20. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

We all love spending countless hours tweaking, overclocking, and unlocking but AMD should just make a chip that can better compete with Intel without all the gimmicks. At this point Intel is just blowing AMD out the water as the Phenom is a bottleneck whore with or without overclocks and unlocks.

Tags: Add Tags