1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amiga set for re-launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

my uncle had an amiga, that got passed onto me. I loved it because it had much better games than the consoles. I have doubts they'll manage to drum up enough developer interest to get a bunch of killer games that'd make me want to buy one.

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I had Amiga 500 - what a great machine it was. I still think the Sid Meier's Colonization on Amiga as the best game ever.

And seeing the Deluxe Paint almost brought a tear into my eye.

4. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

It would be great to have an Amiga back in the running as a usable computer, but it is never going to happen.

Look at the site!
    http://www.a-eon.com/index.html

Like all the recent Amiga stuff it's basic and unprofessional. Even the screen grab of the OS isn't a screen grab it's a terrible camera shot of a monitor.

I would so like this to be successful, but that's just a pipe dream. I would put money on this new company / machine disapearing before the end of the year.

Such a shame.

P.S. Anyone else ever noticed that one of the 'In the night garden' Ha Hoos looks like the Boing Ball?

http://www.inthenightgarden.co.uk/en/assets/images/characters/haahoos/layout-visit-char-haahoos.jpg

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I had an A500, A1500 then finally a tricked out A1200 (Which I still have) they were all great machines in their day.

6. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

Will this run workbench?

7. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I dont understand, what purpose is this computer? It's way past 1st of April.

8. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

just sold my A1200 030/50 accelerator on ebay and my towered A1200 with CD drive, external modem and HDD will be going on there sometime soon too. I must say it was a wrench to actually sell the thing, I spent many hours playing UFO:Enemy unknown, The Settlers, Sensible soccer, Alien Breed etc. There really were some fantastic games for the Amiga.

I wouldn't buy one now though and I can't see this being anything bigger than a pet project or vintage computing platform etc. Interesting though all the same.

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I had a 500, 600, and a 1200. I loved my amiga, and some of the games I think I would still play today. North and South, Wings of Fury, Prince of Persia, Hunter, Sensible Soccer and countless others.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Still have my Amiga 1200 and I doubt I'll ever part with it. What a fantastic machine, and it was so much better than the PC's back then for gaming.

But I can't see this new one being any kind of serious contender. I would love them back in the marketplace but I just don't see it happening. I will wait and see though...and hope.

11. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

North & South, now that was a great game I'd forgotten about.

12. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

If hearing of a new Amiga meant nothing to you, I doubt you'll ever understand this machine, especially if the specs do nothing for you.

Nice to see PPC CPUs again, especially with the internal expansion potential this thing has. Looks like a great scientific tinkering system, and a fairly serious one at that. Guess it all depends on the launch price though.

13. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

10% of the budget wasted on this nonsense would have got AROS up and running properly. The choice between an Amiga-compatible OS for x86 or some ridiculously arcane RISC system with Xorro slots (hooray for retro) seems obvious to everyone except those with the money.

AmigaOS 4 demonstrated that there is still a viable niche market there, it's just a shame those few that bother to invest are so utterly clueless.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

used to be a running joke between commodore and atari users.. atari 800xl/130xe had drives that were so much faster than the old commodore drives- remember going over to a german exchange students place and he attacked me like full on bucktooth bodyslam.. I'm serious when I made fun of how slow his rig was

I got out of there lolol still remember that- amiga was alright but I was a ST guy.. still couldn't get past how slow the commodore was back in the day.. programming on those old rigs was nothing short of fun- you had to really watch your memory usage.. oh yeah atari's had better sound too stuff it commodore fags! XD

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

OMG this has me really excited. Any news on backward compatibility? The thought of loading up and running Alien Breed 3D with decent graphics settings without resorting to emulation is awesome.

I shall be keeping abreast of this me thinks.

16. blohum

blohum What's a Dremel?

Which dimension are you from?!?

17. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Yeah yeah, let me see...two A500's, 1 A1200, 1 A1500, 1 A4000/030 whic I SWOPPED for my first PC, a Pentium 90 with 512k of RAM! Mmm, interesting....

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if they had relaunched this 10 years ago, then maybe i would be interested

i had an amiga 500, then updated the various parts, cant remember all the names now, but denise chip was one of them, added a cd rom, memory etc

then i got a cd32, then added an sx1 module, with extra ram, keyboard mouse hard drive, external floppy etc, think i had 2 or 3 floppy drives

i also managed to get a genlock device, that was rather cool for the bluescreen effects adding titles etc to video

those were the days, ahhhh

19. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Damn straight! The Amigas ALL had 4-channel 8-bit stereo sound. The only ST that came anywhere near was the STE. The ST's only advantage was that it had built-in MIDI ports, so you didn't have to use an external serial->MIDI box.

And as far as graphics went, the Amiga blew everything that was around at the time away, 3 times. Once with the A1000/A500 (OCS), again with the A500+ and A600 (ECS) and finally with the A1200/A4000 (AGA).

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Dulux Paint 3! Despite the terrible stability, constant crashes and appalling userbility, my old Amiga 1500 was the best computer I ever owned.

I even once formatted the one harddrive by accident... and it made absolutely no difference! I'd like to see a modern PC manage that feat!

Tags: Add Tags