1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Golden Arrow Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 1 May 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. qupada

qupada What's a Dremel?

Any chance of getting your hands on the (similarly priced) Intel Pro/1000 PT (http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-overview.htm) for a comparison piece?

I suspect the result will be similar, since all the Intel card's performance tuning seems to be geared toward large-packet TCP (checksum offloading, etc), but performance results for the more server-oriented Intel card would be interesting nevertheless.

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I used to own a Killer K1 and whilst it was good at first the terrible driver support rendered it nigh on useless.

I wouldn't touch another product related to Bigfoot in a million years. They support their new products only adequately and as soon as they do something new they leave their old customers high and dry.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I don't see how a 2ms lower ping might be worth anything. But I guess there's a market somewhere for everything.

5. Orionche

Orionche Guest

Regarding the name... are you KIDDING me? :eek:

6. salesman

salesman What's a Dremel?

I read the whole article just because the name of the product.

Does Bit-tech still run a CS:S sever?

7. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

We have gamerservers, yup - have a look in the Games Forum for the specifics.

8. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Even less point than the original card then.

What I did think when I saw it, however, that with a USB port on it. Will someone work out a way to hack it into something better? An OS-agnostic, TCP Offload Engine with full open-source driver support, kthnxplz.

If only I had the skill for such things. I'd be willing to go halves (or thirds?) on one if a willing developer (with creditable experience in such things) would be interested.

9. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

I feel sorry for the poor saps that get sucked in by the marketing bollocks and buy this card.

10. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Most likely WoW freaks. They'll buy this card for the extra 4fps.

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Haha what a piece of crap

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Indeed, crap. Killer networks really should just be put out, so that the few of these cards that are sold don't end up shoveled off onto ignorant gamers by overly pushy clerks in big box stores.

Besides, if you want throttling and proper QoS, download a little (Non Free) piece of software called cFosSpeed. It dynamically re-orders packets in order to make sure that things you want (HTTP, Skype, WoW) get out first, around your downloaded data. It's good enough that I can max out my download speeds and still keep respectable pings. Yup.

13. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

Awesome, I really enjoyed this review, when thinking about what PCI-slots to use in Alienware rigs bought online I always wondered if there were worth it, thanks Bit-tech :)

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I did a blind test, took two identical systems, one had this card and one didnt, I had 10 people each day for three days try out both systems for 30mins each and you know what the results were, over half choose the system without the card as to what they though was faster lol, my point being is that this does not make a noticeable significant difference UNLESS your on an internet connection that is wireless or under 1.5mb, anything higher and well your not going to really need this card at all.

15. dylawesome

dylawesome What's a Dremel?

I'm curious: if you're playing a game and the server were using hardware like this, would you receive better performance? Could such hardware be used to improve the quality of the connection to the laggiest players in a game?

It's something I've wondered about since bigfoot networks came out.

16. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Yay, more useless crap to throw money at!

17. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

The biggest buyers of the original were system builders, who were able to market it to ignorant chumps.

Heck, there's more difference between Coke and Pepsi than this and onboard NIC.

Though the Intel NIC performs better than the Realtek NIC. If this sort of thing interests you, then you should rather buy boards with the Intel NIC.

18. lietu

lietu What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'd also love to see a comparison with a similarly priced NIC from some other manufacturer, such as Intel or HP.

19. Invectus

Invectus What's a Dremel?

hahaha what a funny product.. but it will certainly sell it self, everything with a "gaming" tag appear to do so.

20. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

ya, EVGA sounds better then Golden Arrow.

Tags: Add Tags