1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Roundup: Asus' latest AMD 8-series motherboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. dackroyd

dackroyd What's a Dremel?

for a second it looked like a return of the ISA port with the brown PCI-E on the pictures on the right

3. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Why does asus still use ide ports (and in such weird places) and why does asus not use 90dgr. sata ports on amd motherboards.

5. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I agree on that, although in this case it's not a problem not having those 90 degree ports. Because the card won't obstruct them.
    Unlike my P6T deluxe, amazing motherboard but really bad sata port layout, now I can't run SLI because I'm using all 6 ports :(

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I still use an IDE port for an old HDD of mine. The HDD still works so no reason to bin it. I just use it to store .torrent files and backup my music and store a complete folder with all the programs I would need for a fresh install.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Good Job so far it seems :thumb: Now for Gigabyte and MSI's offerings.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Is it the lighting in the photos or is there really that much brown? :eyebrow:
    It's like playing Quake!

I really don't think the few-and-far-between examples of situations where an IDE port are useful in this day and age justify its inclusion in modern motherboards.

They could free up so much space on the board both in terms of traces and the socket itself and thus improve layouts with the extra space.
    Why oh why do companies insist on including IDE? :(

On low-end motherboards, fine - But if I pay a few hundred for a high-end motherboard it's a safe bet I'll be pairing it with high-end components, not decades-old IDE drives!

Last edited: 5 May 2010
  9. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I thought that the C4F would also be part of this article. In AMD's motherboards, only the high-end get the 90º sata ports. The IDE is completely unecessary for such mobo - medium to high-end. Someone who invests on such parts has the money and desire to buy something new and fast, not a slouch.

One question that has been annoying me: Is it possible to use a x1 PCI-E card on a PCI-E x16 slot?

10. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

@farfalho: Yes, in fact Bit sometimes does it (like for the USB3 cards review) so that they can be sure there's the maximum bandwidth available.
    I seriously hope the PCB isn't that awful shade, I thought that went out of fashion about 5 years ago (I think my old board with ISA slots was a kind of beige/khaki)

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

For ~80 squid the matx board looks like pretty good value, shame Im not in the market really as my current build is only a year old roughly. I agree on the IDE being redundant these days- if you really have to use an IDE HDD or optical drive you can buy IDE-USB2/ Sata adaptors for a fiver; no more origami IDE cable folding required...

12. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

So out of all the 890fx boards which is best? Was gonna get the m4a89dt pro but it looks badly layed out so I just went for the crosshair iv instead which is pretty much the same price and looks like someone really thought about the layout

Last edited: 4 May 2010
  13. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

Crosshair 4 Extreme

14. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Asus really need to make some mATX AMD gaming boards.

Tags: Add Tags