1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Internet Explorer market share plummets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

But now the question comes. Who buys shares in out-dated tech anyway? ;)

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've been playing about with IE9 and so far I am vaguely impressed with it's css3 support, but thoroughly unimpressed with it's speed. It's crap!

4. Santa-san

Santa-san A friendly person

I agree! :D Now buying some shares in Firefox when they started out would have been a smart investment:thumb:

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I can see why. Firefox has better cookie handling options and loads of add-ons. Chrome is supposed to be faster. IE is slow to get patches and has (in my opinion) a poorer user interface.

6. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

You can also blame this drop on the browser panel forced upon Microsoft in the EU.

Also, what out-dated tech are you talking about?

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Yeah its shocking how when given the option to not use IE people choose not to use it...

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I read all the test conclusions about the speed improvement of chrome like everyone else did when it came out, but was disappointed to find it slower than firefox in general use, contrary to the test results.

I finally figured out why only a few months ago when I went back to chrome to see if it had improved at all. Chrome, being nice and lightweight due to the lack of add-ons is supposed to be nice and quick. My firefox installation has a shed-load of addons (and yes, the official unit of measurement for quantities of addons is sheds... or at least it should be) but because one of those is an ad-blocker, any ad-infested pages (the majority of the internet) will load significantly faster in firefox, the "big, heavy & slow browser", as my chrome-loving (that sounds like some sort of euphemism...) friends call it. I do like a bit of irony.

I'm also reliably informed that there won't be an ad-blocker officially supported by chrome because google makes so much cash from its advertising - it wouldn't really make sense for them to allow it in their own browser.

And yes, as crazyceo pointed out, all those who've bought windows 7 in the EU have a lovely IE-free OS by default, and I would imagine most have the sense to ask someone (or just google) which browser to get, if they don't already have an opinion. I'd actually be interested to see statistics for the browser market share for windows 7 users in the EU only. I hereby predict a pitiful result for microsoft.

Yslen

ps. Yes, most of that comment was pointless, but I'm testing a new keyboard, and there's something so depressing about typing "hello my name is <insert name here>" in microsoft word over and over.

alpaca likes this.
  9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Shouldn't it be thank?

This is just about the only thing EU has done that I agree with...

Then again the other things they do aren't related to me, so I pretty much only know that the EU has done this... Other than the fiasco about Greece. :naughty:

Last edited: 4 May 2010
  10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I've been using chrome for about 2 months now and am amazed at how much quicker it is than ie8, however i'm willing to give ie9 a chance when it's properly released whenever that may be.

11. crazyceo

1..2..3..4..I predict a flame war!!!!!!!

IE8 is perfectly fine to use and is excellent in every way. I don't need any "ADWARE" chrome or unstable firefox.

12. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

:D I guess people just aren't clicking on the choice for IE. lol.

Really, this drop is really not surprising, IE is becoming increasingly irrelevant and has been doing so for the past few years. Safari is no different.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I don't know anyone, personally, ignorant enough to use IE. If I did know someone still using it I would explain to them why they shouldn't, and download FF for them and install it if need be. Don't lets your friends drive drun... uh.. use IE.

Yours in anti-MS Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

My dad was a hardcore IE fan. I told him that if he used FF for 3 days and didn't like it. I would take care of all the pc related problems in the household for the entire year. But guess what, I still have a lot of spare time ^^

15. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

SRWare Iron for your non "ADWARE" Chrome needs.

Firefox unstable? :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

16. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Now, if the IT in my company decided to kill IE6 and put firefox or something... IE6 doesn't have any security updates (it's EOL by MS) and Firefox is great... although it eats alot of memory on my P3 866mhz 512SDRAM :D

17. Orionche

Orionche Guest

Let it die.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

19. crazyceo

So why shouldn't they use it? really, I need to know as I haven't heard a valid excuse yet!

20. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Hardcore Internet Explorer:rock: Wow, never heard of that before!

Tags: Add Tags