1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ELSPA losing patience with Conservative Party

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

The Tories are trying to win rather than settle for a hung parliament. Somehow I doubt this will be something on their minds in the last few days of campaigning before the election. There are a million and one issues that are more likely to swing key voters.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

The tories, sadly, are idiots and I pray they don't get in. I want to slap Cammeron!

4. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

All MPs are slimey. Its the nature of the beast that is Parliament for them to be.

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

So you're saying you would rather stay with the Scottish prat? or waste a vote on the Libdems who before you know it we will be in the Euro and ruled by the Germans and French?

Me thinks it's you who needs the bitch slap my friend!

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

It's great being in the euro

7. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

Whats the fact that he's Scottish got to do with anything?

8. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Says the person who can't spell his name correctly.

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Whilst I do enjoy gaming I feel that the conservatives have for want of a better phrase 'bigger fish to fry' than fullfilling this promise.

Lets focus on reducing the defecit and bringing the infrastructure of this country up to scratch first and then focus on tax breaks when we can actually afford them.

10. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Voting UKIP then? I don't think anybody needs a slap simply because they have a different opinion. I might make an exception for those who threaten violence against people for not voting a particular way...

PS: Tongue in cheek here in case anyone misses it.

11. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

To me they are all the same, I take their "policies" with a pinch of salt. Yeah sure a new party may be okay for a first term, but they all get lazy on their second time around.

12. crazyceo

Why aren't you asking "What's the fact he's a prat got to do with anything"?

13. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

Why does a invididuals viewpoint require offtopic debate...:sigh:

14. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

The point of the tax breaks is to help with this! If you have the tax breaks, alot of film companies simply do their work whereever its cheapest to do so, tax breaks will make filming/working in UK a more attractive proposition. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but when was the last time there was a truly great game made by a UK company, or UK film producer? (that wasn't already a successful IP?).

I could be proven wrong here :) but the point i'm trying to get across still stands, most studio's do one out of the UK when time/money permits.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Your on cloud 9 if you expect tax breaks until we get this mountain of debt sorted. As its been said in several threads on this forum (maybe dropping in sometime you might learn a few things) It isn't as simple as A, B or C. not one party represents everyones exact views. In terms of debt Brown wants to bury his head. We know what hes like an not matter what he says I don't believe him. Lib dem want to run away from it and join the euro which will land us in it more. Also his policy on immigration and trident is damn scary. Tho lib dem will abolish student fees but ill have left uni before that happens. The only thing I got from Cameron was pretty much hes gonna make cuts and raise taxes. Not nice when cost of living is so expensive but tbh it needs done before interest from the debt cripples us. I don't trust that he will take it as far as it needs to go tho, nor do I truest he will lower everything once things are back to normal. It'll be the Labour party with a new leader effectively and some different approaches.
    Truth is all parties will screw you one way or another. Thats politics. Choose one and quit bitching.

on topic: Its like the classifying of mephedrone only on the opposite side. They pushed that through cause nothing will get done during the elections. The opposite happened here, its been ignored until after the elections. Its a minor thing compared to immigration, taxes, health care, pensions etc.

16. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Meh. I suppose what's best for the economy as a whole will also be best for the games industry, after all if everything else is doing well it should be possible to lower taxes across the board. I personally think the Conservatives are the best of a bad bunch.

17. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

vote labour get harman, balls or mandy, what a nightmare that would be.

brown is toast, labour lie about looking after the rich whilst seeing what they can steal for themselves, at least the tories are honest about looking after the rich and most don't need to steal from us . . . . .

18. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

OK, so who remembers the 80's then...Thatcher, then Major...the poll tax etc...the Tories are bad news, especially if you have to work for a living, need the NHS and are not sat on a huge trust fund.

19. crazyceo

Lets not forget the 3 day week when nothing productive was done in the whole country....no wait that was the last Labour Government before the Conservatives.

We can all go back and point the fingers. However, the current crop of promised "Whiter than White Politics" has shamed every other previous cock up by any party.

Sorry to offend the Americans but the one thing you can take positively from their politics is the two term limit. That way, the personality of the leader has to change every 8 years which also tends to change the party in control and freshens things up. 17 years or now 13 years is too long for one party to stay in control, corruption sets in and sticks.

Anyway back to the topic at hand. Unfortunately, this part of the industry is far too insignificant to make any party give major lip service to. They have all promised tax breaks and incentives but by the time they come into force, far too many companies have already moved abroad and taken the jobs with them. Isn't Canada the favourite at the moment?

20. dogdirt2000

dogdirt2000 What's a Dremel?

Well, considering that the games industry on the whole makes this country more many than the film industry (both cinema and dvd sales), I think the government needs to get on the ball pretty quickly.

Those saying that there are bigger things in mind for the economy than tax incentives for the games industry need to realise that it will be one of the hundreds of things needed to help our economy recover. If that's too hard, then take the tens of millions of £££'s away from the film industry and pump it into the games industry... only then will we really see how profitable it will be as an unhindered creative industry.

Tags: Add Tags