1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Blur Hands-On Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

We've been playing the demo for a few weeks on the 360, have to say playing it on live is great fun.

Wipeout meets NFS.

3. line2008

line2008 What is this "dremel" you speak of?

looking forward to this game, can't wait for it to drop on PC

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Same here, can't wait for the PC version!

5. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Looks good this. Will keep my eye on it.

6. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Having great fun with the beta on Xbox Live.

Whoever did the sound design on this game deserves a ****ing medal. The little effects like sound dampening when you're inside a shield, or gravel bouncing when you go off-road add so much to the driving experience.

Oh and attaching the UI elements to your car's suspension is a great idea, gives a real immersive feeling.

7. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

does this have offline split screen

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

A new Rollcage?

Whats the DRM on this?

9. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

Woo! Can't wait for the PC version :D
    Me love Nissan Skyline :p

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I have been seeing more and more stuff about this game over the past few months and I can't wait to get my hands on it for PC.

11. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I still think GRiD looks better :p

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I must admit I've kind of ignored Blur, thinking it would just be another average racing game. After all the good comments from people here I might have to give it a look.

13. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

It's a fantastic game and the open beta is available to anyone with Xbox Live. Bear in mind this is Bizarre Creations, the guys behind the great Project Gotham series. They dropped their exclusive contract with Microsoft Games, which is why they're now able to go multi-platform.

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Ah! I had no idea it was made by Bizarre! Jesus Christ, that is the last time I ignore a game before looking into it!

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I was playing the Beta verion on Xbox LIve until they took it down yesterday. I haven't been seriously addicted to a racing game since the 1st Gran Turismo. The addicting part is the strategy element it involves. Gathering and use of Power-ups is vital to winning, especially when you're online with 9 other drivers, or 19!

And if you do manage to get ahead of everyone, some entity above that I can only describe as "God of blur" creates force fields you must avoid or they will slow your vehicle.

The car physics are pretty decent. Each vehicle does a good job in replicating the performance and handling of the real deal. The Lotus is very nimble while the ZR1 can be like a projectile missile at the LA Docks. The Scirocco 24 is a pure adrenline rush in the Badlands. The engine sound effects are some of the best I've heard, esp the blow-off valve on the Scirocco 24 and the Nitrous boost as it tapers off on the 1969 Camero SS

I got so enthusiastic about the game that I decided to build a "blur" theme PC.... lol

It's based on the Blue ZR1 Corvette from the Beta version. It will be a mini-ITX system in 1:8 scale replica. Here is the progress so far..

[​IMG]

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

when it comes to car games with a keyboard, I think they should model that after burn out paradise where its nice and well easy to control and drive the cars, not anything like GRID or Dirt 2 where its next to impossible to control your speed and turning and so on unless you have a really good steering and pedal setup, even then I find it difficult lol its no where near racing a vehicle in real life but ehh oh well lol.

17. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

Is it like a modern day Midnight Club 2?

18. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Really? I finished GRiD and Dirt 2 with a keyboard.

A (cheap) OEM (Acer) wireless keyboard.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Agree on Grids unplayability, but not on Dirt2.

20. enciem

enciem Minimodder

This looks 'kin cool to me, not enough of these now, especially good ones. I love driving games with guns, used to be a staple, even got to the point where they were condemned for being a bit too common if I remember correctly (though it was a long time a ago so my memory may be failing).

@HourBeforeDawn: I thought the handling of Grid was great with a controller and Dirt 2 is much less twitchy with the deadzone turned up to about 20 or 25. Grid was ruined by griefers online though, and what happened to the eight-ball pack.

Tags: Add Tags