1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Logitech, Corsair join PC Gaming Alliance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

This is actually something that I'm surprised isn't touched on more frequently. With so many hardware companies heavily invested in the PC gaming market, you'd think they would be doing more to ensure more 'AAA' titles actually make it to the platform.

It's no secret that a lot of developers/publishers are either pulling out completely from PC gaming or putting out crappy unoptimised ports with horrible DRM. So it's about time these hardware companies, whose primary customers are PC gamers, actually pull their finger out and start offering solutions like sponsoring PC development.

If my choices only end up being Valve and Blizzard games (which run on practically any hardware as well as Macs), why should I keep buying your expensive components (some of which cost as much as, or more than, an entire gaming console)?

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

you make a good point, and to be fair if it werent for nvidia funding games the pc gaming industry probably would have died (as we know it) in 2006.

but what exactly does this organisation do? diddly squat as far as i can tell

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Wait, could someone explain what the issue with them taking on Epic Games is? SecuROM, sure, but what' wrong with Epic?

I think thye may have said some truly stupid things about PC gaming, but they are still releasing games for us, and they are still high quality. Bulletstorm looks sick.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Epic have been shitting on PC games since the UT3 engine didn't make the waves they hoped it would and basically moving all their production to consoles. Have a look through the news history on Bit its not exactly fun reading for a member of the PCGA.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

What do they do?

7. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

This is the stupidest organization west of the pecos. Who are these people besides a bunch of self appointed fanboys? They haven't accomplished a damn thing! Whats signing up a bunch of hardware companies gonna do for PC gaming?

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I too, would like to know what they have done/are doing for the industry, other than sitting around a room talking.......

9. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Good point. I remember reading that Nvidia's 'The way its meant to be played' campaign loses them a huge amount of money but they do it so they get some good ports (like Batman:AA) that show off their hardware.

So just 1 company. Fantastic.

10. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Well it is their right to do so, isnt it?
    They are a company and the go where the money is at, and that is console gaming atm.
    To be honest, I have loved pretty much every game Epic have done, I dont care if they release on pc or console, I will play it anyway.

11. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Epic say some moronic stuff, but, my question is why are Microsoft on here? No one has done more harm to PC gaming as Microshaft has.

12. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Did I miss something? Where would PC gaming be without Microsoft, exactly? I suppose we'd all be very excited about being able to get 30fps in this new game called "portal" on our macs...

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I'm sorry, but that's a stupid thing to say. GFWL might suck but without DirectX and Windows there simply wouldn't be PC gaming.

14. mastorofpuppetz

LMAO, yes there would be PC gaming was around before windows, and Opengl is just as good and in many ways better then DX10. Please.

MS does more to hurt PC gaming then anyone, saying otherwise is stupid. They would much rather force people to use the xbox then windows. MS does nothing for PC gaming.

15. mastorofpuppetz

MS makes ZERo dollars on PC games, they make money on each xbox game sold, there is a reason why games like Alan Wake, Gears are not on PC, it's not Epic or Remedy (Remedy even said it was MS's decision).

Why doesnt MS support some PC games? All they do is market and support xbox games, they closed down the Age of empires, flight sim devs, they do nothing for PC gaming.

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Historically, Microsoft were at the forefront of games for PC.

Here's a clip of Bill Gates promoting Doom for PC (hilarious to watch by the way)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0K58EfJSg

He did it to sell the PC and Windows as a gaming platform.

And as mentioned before, don't ignore Direct X. If anything, Microsoft have probably done more for the PC gaming industry than anyone! My flatmate argues this point much better than I do, he does Comp. Science or something.

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

maybe they are the 'Scientology' group of the PC world...

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

So why is nobody using it?

19. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I know only one thing that PCGA did and that was prove that all those retail only sales numbers were not giving the full picture on PC game sales. They then piled together some online game sale statistics to show that they were selling just as much or more then the retail copies.

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I like how everyone laments the death of PC gaming, when the most profitable game of all time is a PC exclusive (world of warcraft) and the highest selling franchise of all time had large PC sales (the sims). sure some gaming genres have migrated more towards consoles over the years, but I think it's pure over reaction to say pc gaming is dead.

Tags: Add Tags