1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Four percent of gamers play for 50 hours a week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Danny

Danny What's a Dremel?

Used to play about 60 until I got myself a gf and started concentrating on my College work. :worried:

Sadly, most of these consisted of Warcraft hours also. Thankfully, I saw the light (radiating through my bedroom window). =P

Play around 10 now or so, mainly weekends when it avoids College and my girlfriend working.

Last edited: 28 May 2010
  3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm lucky if I can manage 1 hour a week :(

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

i do about 5 or 6 hours tops tbh

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

and how exactly did you meet a girl playing 60 hours a week?

interesting that the average age of a pc gamer is 42, wow thats old. interesting figures all round. lets be honest though people 50 hours of your life a week on computer games is not a healthy or desireable lifestyle.

6. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Have been doing about 20 hours lately but am currently resting due to minor rsi :p (20 hours of gaming + 25 hours of net browsing/ general mouse use + 8 hours of gym = sore elbow apparently )

7. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i watch over 60 hours of anime a week but i still go ski ing every week, band for 2 hours on mondays and go sixth form

granted i do only have about 4-7 hours sleep a night and i have a lot of spare time in day at sixthform

8. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

world of warcraft. nuff said.

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

its pretty sad that there is so much wasted youth around.

10. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Avg is 32 not 42 so not too bad.

I suffer from insomnia so can dedicate time when others would be sleeping in my part of the world.
    so 60+ hours a week is quite do-able.

11. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

sorry just realised data was collected from different sources my bad.

12. blood69

blood69 What's a Dremel?

I used to play more than 50 when i had 14-15 years old, then reduce to 25 and then when i started to work i just play 2 hours.
    It's sad, i liked FPS, 3rdPS, Simulations, Plataform, etc games, now i just play car simuators rFactor, GTR2 and stuff.
    I miss the thrills of MOHAA and Quake, QuakeIII, MaxPayne, FarCry etc, and a lot of Dreamcast games like TokioHChallenge, Shenmue, Sonic Adventures, Jet Set Radio, MSR, etc.

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I use to game that much but now just don't have the time due to Uni and the GF. Biggest problem when I was younger is nothing to do outside. You play football, rounders etc you hit cars, windows, flower pots. Go to the park (If you could be arsed walking for half an hour over a carnmoney hill) and pedos kidnap you if theyre not busy with the kids that have taken up residence so you can't get near anything. Local leisure center has an outdoor pitch for their team that is never used apart from weekends and Ive been kicked off that for not paying, not to mention its down an even larger hill and twice as far away. Traffic is too heavy for a kid to cycle anywhere safely, Not to mention British weather is gay. No wonder kids stay in and play games.

14. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

this is research carried out in the us, cant you read

15. chocolateraisins

chocolateraisins :D

Depends on the season for me..

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I wonder, do 4% of gamers also play WoW?

For me, it depends on what I'm doing really. If I've got a week off and the weather's crap, I could probably rack up 50 hours if there's a game I'm really interested in playing. But on an average week I probably spend more like 20-25 hours gaming depending on what I'm doing (but then I currently only work 4 hours a week and don't have a GF). It's hard to see how spending 50 hours a week gaming wouldn't impact on your health/work/social life if you also had a full-time job.

Joe, considering your job is reviewing games, I was wondering how much of your time is actually spent playing the games vs. writing the reviews? (you don't have to answer that if you don't want to, I was just curious).

17. phantombudgie

phantombudgie What's a Dremel?

The only WoW player I know actually lost his GF due to too much time spent playing online!

18. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Wow, am surprised at that.

I could understand (for example) gamers playing perhaps 15 hours over a weekend, and a few hours a day during weekdays = 30 hours a week, although 50 hours does seem a fair bit (over 7 hours every day!)

I guess 4% isn't too much though; it's not like 50 hours a week is a standard for gamers. I assume it's more of a binomial distribution with 10-20 hours per week being the peak.

As for me, sometimes I'm lucky to play a couple of hours a week (but mainly since I don't yet have a really good gaming rig).

I've certainly done 20-30 hours per week at some points, however (well, during the months I played WoW)

19. cyberspice

cyberspice Angel on a bad trip

F**k me, I'm lucky if I play 5 hours a week. My dad plays more than me these days!
    On a serious note though, I guess it means I don't waste so much money on them. Mass Effect 2 lasted me about 2 months. Risen is probably going to last me the same....

How anyone can spend 50 + hours per week though is beyond me, that's more time than I spend at friggin work!

20. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

"The research also reveals that players aged 2 years and up average around 13 hours per week, an increased from 12.3 hours in 2009's survery. "
    Wow, I didn't realize that 2 year olds gamed 13 hours a week. What do they play?

Tags: Add Tags