1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Immensity: ROG board with on-board HD 5770

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Wow! on-board HD 5770?!

3. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Just don't try it with Fermi unless you want a hole in your motherboard

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The problem is its more than likely going to cost more than the equivalent mobo and GPU separate, Unless the lucid chip sees a massive improvement i cant see this taking off tbh.

If it was an matx 1156 with a built in 5450/5770 it would be great for a media comp.

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Wow! On board 5770? That'd be a killer to cool efficiently without blocking anything.
    Sounds more like a 5450, TBH.

6. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Whilst I like the idea of a mid end card on the mobo. I think that ATX is the wrong platform to use it on. Like above me says, m-ATX and it would be great for media comps as all it does here is take up lanes on a X58 board where you wouldn't even consider using a mid end card with. Thankfully it's only a prototype to demonstrate the idea.

7. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Do want, here are my life savings. Only, will you please also add a 64gb ssd to boot the os? I'll die happy after unboxing.

8. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

It would be nice if that onboard 5770/5450 can be hybred crossfired that would be total poonage. - imagine....2 5970s+integrated 5770 in hybred crossfire. though i suppose there would probably be some serious driver/Ai issues with the gpus fighting over work or deciding what sort of work to make the integrated chip do.as its not as powerful as the other GPUs...

guess we wont know until we get some reviews.

on a side note - its a pitty Asus cant be this Gung Ho about their soundcard dept. their drivers are stable but they could do with lots of tweaking. the DS3DGX eax emulation engine could do with a little fine tuning too. theres quite a few games out there that dont work properly with Xonars when it comes to EAX. but Asus just dont seem interested in building a decent tweaked driver that fixs the issues.

these guys in the interview seem genuinely passionate about their company & their products. now if only they could channel some of that enthusiasm into the audio dept.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If they do release a model including a decent GPU I'd be tempted to purchase it for my next upgrade. If the Hydra really works as intended and provides decent performance then why not use it to blend my 5870 with a built in 5770 and get a little more performance and future proofing? Seems like that's the real goal listening to what the interview said: allow people who already have a dedicated graphics card get added gaming performance from their motherboard through the use of the Hydra.

Only slight draw back I see happening is it physically taking up the top couple expansion slots, but seeing as a full card would take up a couple anyway who cares?

10. shadow19935

shadow19935 Whats overclocking? :D

You could have a HD 5970 + HD 5870 + HD 5770 and the onboard HD5*** an none of the cooling fans would be obstructed by the other GPU!! PURE WIN!! :D

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm going to go against the grain here and say having an on-board GPU is a BAD idea. Why?

1) That integrated GPU is taking up a 16x PCI lane that could be used on a more powerful card.
    2) Integrated GPU with an i7 9xx CPU? Really?*

Bottom line is that if you want an X58 motherboard, you're most likely looking at a 5850+ anyway.

*I can think of some people who'd want to build a powerful FEA computer and wouldn't be interested in a stupidly powerful GPU. In which case, this would actually be quite a useful mobo.

12. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I clicked, and I immensified the Immensity.... MOUHAHAHA

(yes, I really felt that way. It was great.)

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

For point 2, judging by the presence of the Hydra and by the RoG naming, this is certainly not meant to be used as a standalone graphics solution. It's not just integrated graphics in the traditional sense, it's more like additional graphics. Like one of the gentlemen in the interview says, the idea is to provide integrated graphics which won't be wasted when additional GPUs are added, and instead support them.

Following that for 1, it would seem that it could easily be wired up to run at 8x, which would probably be fine for a 5770 or less, which should allow for two more 16x slots (X58 provides that many, right?). That would allow for 2 cards in full Crossfire/SLI as well as a 5770/5450. The only situation which really starts holding a person back is the likely inablity to use tri-SLI/Crossfire. Crossfire solutions could go 2x5970, so 3x5870 is somewhat rare, so ATI solutions are largely unaffected. SLI would allow for two cards of choice, such as 2xGTX480, with only extra high end system such as your own being affected.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2010
  14. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Forgive my ignorance but why would I want to mix ATI and nVidia cards together what is benefit over a straight ATI crossfire or nVidia SLi setup

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Next time you see Mr. Hsu, please tell him that the reason no one wants ASUS in India is because they're selling their stuff at about 20% more than competing products and their local distributor is the spawn of Satan.

It has nothing to do with ROG or non-ROG boards.

16. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

So when you upgrade to a new card you can still use your old card along side it.

17. hbeevers

hbeevers Yes, it can play crysis!

This is a great idea for future upgrdes! I'm only running an i3 cpu at the moment with an asus hd 5770 but in the future i'm looking to upping to an i7, this would mean that i could also see a GPU improvement with only buying a new CPU and mobo, hopefully this combo would be cheaper than buying a decent lga1366 mobo and 5770 seperately though. It's also great for future proofing, keep your old card AND use the new one no matter what manufacturer it is.

18. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

i want to see some benchmarks of this baby. and also how well the Lucid chip works.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

So Asus possibly integrate an HD5770 into their motherboard while AMD (and intel) aim to integrate that level of performance into the CPU.

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

In a mini-itx formfactor?

No?

Then I think I'll skip

Tags: Add Tags