1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI WindPad 100 and 110 Tablet PC Hands on

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

The more I see these devices, the less I think of them and seem to question what's the point?

It's too big and heavy to be a phone (add the Dom Joly gag) and it's no good as a laptop replacement.

Until Intel and AMD design and release "decent" ultra low powered CPU's then these devices will end up gathering dust on your shelf.

They may look cool but do you really need one? In most cases unfortunately it will be no!

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They are not laptop replacements - at least not the 10" models - they are portable internet/media consumption/casual gaming products that are easier to use and more versatile than your smartphone, but should be lighter/cheaper than your full laptop.

I would say a few million people who've already said "yes", would disagree ;)

4. crazyceo

Don't get me wrong, I have a netbook as well but to shell out for another shiny thing to me is pointless.

Especially from a price point with the iTampax, these gadgets just aren't worth it. Casual gaming? you sh!tting me? What, PacMan?

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I'll let them know so they can lower the production run, they were counting on you to buy one.

I don't have a netbook, just a 7 year old laptop which I only really use for msn and web browsing. After trying an ipad at the weekend I am very tempted by them or an alternative.

Theres no point acting ignorant, there are clearly thousands of 'casual' games available. Besides that, these devices are capable of playing far more immersive games aswell -Im playing GTA on my iphone right now

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Plus you know, Plants vs. Zombies

Weren't MS making a special tablet OS that is supposed to be like a smartphone on steroids to go along with Win7 mobile? Or was the HP windows tablet announcement thing a while back just about a tablet using regular Win7?

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

That second picture of the 110 makes it look massive!

8. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

And you though iPad sounded silly...

9. crazyceo

Thanks for that Lacuna, so that tells me you are a fan of the crapple brand then? Again don't get me wrong but that particular brand does absolutely nothing for me. Just another "EXPENSIVE" shiny thing for the sheep to follow.

Sorry about the gaming comment, I actually meant proper games not the crap excuse of a game on offer on the iPhone. I can see how as a fan of crapple, your gaming expectations are so low on quality but each to their own.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Why are they using Windows 7? Such a lazy cop-out. It's kinda cool that it runs at all, but it really isn't best suited.

11. crazyceo

The 110 used Android! and as a result performed better. That's the benefit for these over sized smartphones and not quite a netbook yet tablets.

12. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

This will be much better with the new Google Chrome OS as they are developing that for touch screens!

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

One of my friends has a Samsung Q1 Ultra. It isn't the most powerful computer in the world but when I was using it the other day, performance was really rather good with Window 7. I wasn't hammering it, we had Spotify and Chrome with about 15 tabs which it was coping with just fine.

He's used it to take notes in lectures and says the handwriting recognition in 7 is good and when we needed to use it as a more conventional laptop it did that fine too with an external keyboard.

To be useful to me, a computer can't just do the casual fun things. It has to be usable as a computer too. They may not be for everyone but if you are actually trying to do some work you need a full OS.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Each to their own indeed. I mean, some people like retro gaming. Some people like football.

Apple and its tablets may not press your button (or probably it does, but a different one), but two million have been sold already. I'd say that Apple understands how most people want to use computers, and what for, pretty well.

The rest of the market, judging by MSI's offerings, still doesn't. They stare themselves blind on current technology, not its human application.

15. crazyceo

But at what cost? Is it ok for them to offer a pretty low spec item but charge you 3 times as much with some pretty bad connectivity issues that make you spend more money?

Maybe with Windows Mobile 7 due after the summer will this market finally be opened up for proper priced competition and not the new shiny thing. Android is good but people still want that similarity in what they think is a PC. In essence that is we are all talking about, an oversized smartphone and not quite yet a netbook.

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

grammer is way off but i fixed that for ya ;)

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

As a home internet browsing device i can see the attraction but for that the price would have to be in the £150-£200 bracket before i would be interested. Plus i would prefer something like Android or the Apple OS, i agree that full fat windows is not needed.

18. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

No, I just appreciate functional products. I upgraded to my iphone from an XDA running windows mobile and the difference in functionality was huge. I never had an apple product before it and still have no interest in the full scale computers but the iphone and ipad do appeal to me.

What is your definition of a 'proper' game then? To my mind its anything that can be played. My expectations are not low but they are appropriate to the scale of the device. I don't expect to be able to play Crysis on my phone but if I have ten minutes to kill then a quick round of Worms is a good way to pass the time.

19. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I must confess to being interested in any new technology even stuff that doesn't appear to be a good idea. When I look at things like this all I ask is whether its a step forward. Whether its any use to me or what tech it should be replacing or who it's supposed to be made for are way down my list of questions.

I was a little unimpressed with the iPad sadly, but I'm looking forward to Tablets in general. As with the first smart phones this tech needs time to evolve and improve. The real issue for me is the weight. Thats the major form problem which will of course be fixed in time. I can't wait to have one of these.

As to what to do with it... whatever it can do. People used to say a whole bunch of things on phones were unnecessary as they could already do that with some other tech. Now we accept smart phones as normal. Non-portible technology tends to be less about doing lots of things on one device and more about doing 1 or 2 things well. So I have a gaming pc, a laptop for doing things in the other rooms, an eeepc for travelling (it also would replace my 12" powerbook for college uses). Then theres my phone, etc etc. I can't wait to add a tablet to that list for nice net browsing and reading. I don't think not being a replacement for any other tech makes the Tablet form any less interesting. It has great potential and I can't wait to see where we go from here.

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I could replace my netbook easily with an ipad, tho I hate typing on a touchscreen. If it had some rumble feature it probably wouldn't feel so bad tbh. these touch devices address problems with netbooks such as balancing one on your knee (every tried using a netbook on a bus?) also I would take a touch screen over a touchpad for navigation any day of the week. touch devices are also lighter although not light enough IMO and since most of the device is taken up by the screen it certainly would be great for watching films on. My only problem with touch devices is the price. theres no way I would pay £500ish for what a touch device offers over a netbook. The ipad is lacking a forward facing cam for skype . Those with the attitude "what is it for?" use your bloody head. We've heard one person quote it now everyone says it. Your sounding like a broken record regurgating nonsense because your afraid Apple have achieved something no one has done successfully on a commercial scale before. touch devices have a place on this market especially for those with sight problems (pinch zoom is fantastic) and those who want something snappier than windows7 starter for an OS. I like the ipad but this incarnation has alot of room for improvement something that the MSI 110 has seemed to have done.

Tags: Add Tags