1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP buys Phoenix for £8.16 million

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Guess more stuff for their tablet device. Running a Palm OS, with a lite linux version for quicker boot? Tho PalmOS should be lite and fast enough as it is? Unless HP have something else planned that PalmOS doesn't do possibly their laptop range something like this would be very useful. PalmOS for low power devices windows for higher spec with linux lite. Way I see it now, HP is sorting software side of things as well as hardware, something that the market has been sorely lacking - a coherent approach between both sides.

Question for me is, is HP worth investing in long term? Aggressive market strategy could pay off or sink themselves.

3. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

This does worry me.

I will reserve judgement but who knows where Pheonix could be, or not be, in a few years time.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Let's just hope Phoenix is wroking on EUFI. We need it adopted by the box-shifters.

5. TQB

TQB What's a Dremel?

Obviously HP did not buy Phoenix for 12 million $, since that would be ridiculous for a company with a market cap of over 100 million $. HP has agreed to purchase Phoenix's HyperSpace(R), HyperCore(R) and Phoenix Flip(TM) instant-on and client virtualization products. All this information is readily available on the website of Phoenix (http://investor.phoenix.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=478233).

Earlier this year Phoenix already announced that they would focus on their core business being CSS.

For HP 12 million dollar is pocket money (given the fact that they are a 120 Billion dollar company and just spent 1,2 Billion dollar on Palm), so if they see value in these products then it in my opinion it makes sense to buy a product that is ready rather than trying to develop it yourself and maybe spend more time and money in the process.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Interesting - they hadn't published that release at the time of writing.

I've updated the article to reflect your corrections - cheers!

Tags: Add Tags