1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Will the keyboard be dead in ten years time?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Unlikely - unless Nokia does come out with it's Haptikos technology that disappeared some time ago, I'd still prefer physical feedback during text entry.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It's about as unlikely as monitors being obsolete in 10 years.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Q: Will the keyboard be dead in ten years time?
    A: no

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

great vid btw

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The keyboard will die as soon as we get a reliable, useful computer-to-brain link cable and not a moment sooner.

Anyone who wants to enter thousand word essays on a touchscreen needs beating with a blunt keyboard. And don't even get get me started on using voice recognition to dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Highly doubtful but you never know

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Doubt it. Touch-sceen makes for a nice UI 'feature'/input device, however keyboards still fulfil an important role.

9. Sonofalich

Sonofalich What's a Dremel?

What ever technology evolves too, there will always be people who want to use physical input devices.

I can't imagine it's going to get amazingly accurate on say FPS games without a mouse for example and even if it does, will it be better than a mouse? Or just on par?

I really can't see UI's ever replacing keyboards either, as other users have stated. Good luck writing 5,000 word essays on a touch screen. Again also for gaming, slight movement in some games would kill you, I think it will be a long time before any "special" device can properly replicate the accuracy and sensitivity of a keyboard.

Interesting but not at all likely.

10. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

11. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Dead as in you can't buy them from anywhere, or dead as in it's just become more of an uncommon item?

I wouldn't rule anything out, 10 years is a long time.

12. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Nothing is as fast.
    Vice recognition might get good enough in ten years that it gets close to the words per minute of a good typist, but it would be way to noisy and would have all sorts of privacy issues.

Keyboards are here to stay. Although maybe not qwerty, maybe dvorak :p

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I type slower on Dvorak than QWERTY, despite having spent in excess of 2 weeks acclimatizing. QWERTY Cheesecake.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I can't see it happening. As someone pointed out, voice recognition is still unreliable, and anything with a touch-screen, still has a keyboard on it, albeit not a physical one. Even those projection keyboards are still keyboards at the end of the day :)

15. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Spot on

So even if you do away with the keyboard physically, there will still have to be one in one form or another just for input of some form.

16. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Great presentation, 5 years though.. Really?

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Was an interesting presentation. I think 5 years seems a little unlikely, but who knows.

18. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I can't see this changing for loooong time.

The keyboard will still be here in 20 years because a lot of the companies I deal with at work, still run pentium 4's etc.. There are countless businesses who don't care about hardware. They run onboard graphics, no sound, ancient processors, 1gig of ram, windows 2000 or whatever. Part of the problem is that they have so many users that even one small upgrade, multiplied by a thousand staff, ends up being really expensive. But it's also due to the fact that the average typist, data entry, spreadsheet, call centre, etc..etc..etc.. doesn't need any fancy hardware at all.

It's only really gamers and enthusiasts (like most of the people that visit this website), who care about progress. A PC in 2010 is not a whole lot different to a PC in 1981, and that's because it's a good design. Keyboard and mouse is by far the best input method. Touch screen is great on my little iPhone, but if I had to touch my monitor to control my PC, my arms would get tired after around 2 minutes. I could put the monitor on my lap, but then the back of my neck would get sore after 2 minutes. Waving my arms around like minority report would be even worse. The best way to use a PC is to sit in a nice big comfortable chair, with a PC screen at head height, at a good distance from your face so that you can read stuff clearly but it's not too close. My hands lazily lie on top of the keyboard and mouse, and the spongy leather arm rests of my chair suspend my elbows.

As someone else said above, the only way I can see this control method really changing, is when they come up with a better link to our brain. Apparently there is a way to do that already, but it's very early days.

That presentation was brilliant though, and I can see new ways like that having a big effect on the future of how some industries interact with their computers. Presentations, C.A.D, etc. But it's not for me, or the average PC user.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2010
  19. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

And just how are the geeks around the world going to code ?
    Also, we'll need a keyboard somewhere in the process to code the application drawing the on screen tactile keyboard !

20. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

In a word 'no'....I got an ipad and to be honest its very responsive but, if I was using it for iworks or something the wireless keyboard is the better option.

Tags: Add Tags