1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Computex 2010: AMD, ARM, Intel and the Taiwanese Sony

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

"There's no catching the iPad, yet:

We wonder whether the tablet craze might even over by then? "

That is a distinct possibility unfortunately.

3. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Atom is indeed not the One True Way (tm) when ARM offers a near-infinite level of customization in its offerings, even allowing a company to license the design and make its own changes (re Snapdragon). Atom also doesn't support true SoC level integration and is still a pitiful showing even against low-voltage mobile Intel chips.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Lets see which craze outlasts the other...3D or Tablets ;)

5. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

My money is on tablets.

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

any hints as to asus g53 release date and is its nvidia gpu directx 11?

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

3d right now is nothing more then a gimmick, the current tech gives headaches from prolong use and if you dont have 20/20 vision your enjoyment will be left lacking a bit so it wont be until you get 3d without the need of glasses.

8. crazyceo

The problem with 3D are the cheesy glasses. What happens when you invite people round for a party to watch the football? That's £100 a pair on top of the £2,300 TV!

I like that 3D has made a huge comeback but at the moment it's a cinema priority. The home user will probably need to wait for another year before it's worth spending the money. Unless of course, it's 3D without the glasses!

Even taken all of that into consideration, my money is on 3D.

9. bw67958

bw67958 What's a Dremel?

Still no idea what the point of the ipad is?

10. crazyceo

Anyone see the Nintendo 3DS announcement yesterday? If they can do a small 3D screen without the need for glasses then the larger screens probably aren't that far away.

11. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

It's an Apple-Controlled Content delivery device. It's designed to ensure you don't experience anything that is not controlled - to varying degrees - by Apple Inc.

12. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

A touchscreen overlay? How much?

I love how the biggest thing Apple find to say about the iPad is...it's thin.
    And when the advert says it's powerful? I can't help but laugh.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not sure about that. With a small handheld screen viewing angle can afford to be very narrow and you can use fresnel lens technology. With a big screen that is much harder.

You are pretty much spot on --not many people realise that. It is just that Apple is really good at (attracting) content delivery through the devices it designs for the purpose. Or perhaps it is not that Apple is so good, but that competitors are so bad at it.

Time to stop moaning and start putting up some viable competition. I'd like to see some good Android devices but Google is still dicking about thinking about what specs its own Tablet should have, and therefore refuses to officially support others who are creating Android Tablets now. Microsoft won't allow a release of Windows Mobile 7 on Tablets because it wants to force people to use the totally unsuitable Windows 7 --it can't make the paradigm shift. Meanwhile Apple laughs its head off as it forges ahead to define the market, let alone controlling it.

It is powerful for what it is designed to do. Rememeber that the HP Slate was canned because it was distinctly underwhelming in performance (the hardware should have managed but the OS was too heavy).

Tags: Add Tags