1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: Xbox 360 to continue for five more years, at least

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

5 more years of crap console ports and gimped PC games......Damn.

3. Teh C

Teh C Arg

Hardware that was outdated 5 years ago that barely runs games at 1280x720 without any AA is going to last 5 more years? No thanks.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Most depressing tech news story of the day...................

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

If Nintendo says 3D is what matters, then it is. Pff newbs, Nintendo are always ahead of the game!!!1111one1!11

[/fanboy]

6. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Well lets be a bit fair here, after 5 years the PS2 and Xbox were looking really dated, but the games on the PS3 and 360 still don't look too bad, and remember that not everyone has the money to buy a pc that can run Crysis on max settings.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

5 more years of mocking it, cool.

8. DirtyH

DirtyH What's a Dremel?

where has it been listed in america?
    on an official microsoft site? any sources?

anywhere else this price is just pure speculation without an official annoucement.

9. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Why isn't Kinect big for the UK?

10. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

The whole game industry seems to have stagnated releasing a new controler is no substitute for a new console.

On the other hand early adopters (me) have definitely got there moneys worth from their console.

11. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I think he is correct. With the entire of Europe all doing their budgets an overhaul, it will see many people unable to afford the whole 3D experience. Perhaps this device is a cost saver for expanding the life of your xbox360. However until the UK especially gets to grips with employment and the deficit then the market for anything physical on the consoles is not going to go down a storm in the next forseeable 12 months anyway.

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

does anyone not see this as a good thing for the PC? with the GPU becoming more and more powerful and games like fallout online coming out we may attract a few more console gamers ot the light side.

13. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Pc's are already running games at 2560x1600 because the games are made for console hardware. What are we going to do as pc's get more powerful over the next 5 years, we need a higher resolution or something. This is quite depressing because I really think the consoles will hold the pc back for the next 5 years.

14. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

There is no way the industry can support a new generation of consoles any time sooner. 4/5 years sounds about right to me.

15. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Well either you're one of the current crop of arrogant pc gamers and therefore don't need to concern yourself with this or you have a 360 and in that case you're just going to have to deal with it.

The PS2 is still available to buy new in some countries (from what I am aware) and developers are still producing games for it so its still going after 11 years.

Sony have also said that they are looking for a 10 year life cycle from the PS3 and as a PS3 owner I am happy with that. I don't care if games aren't as shiny as their PC counterparts because that doesn't matter.

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Lets face it, if any company ploughs a lot of time and money into one of its products they will look to flog it to death. I seem to recall seeing some where that most consoles are actually sold at a loss and they only really recoup any money from the software.

17. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

He says:

"we've got at least another five years of this generation where we continue to offer great experiences for people"

Does this necessarily mean the current generation will be the latest in all of that time? Look at the PSX after the PS2 came out?

The way I look at it there are the "Premier" consoles and the "casual" consoles. Premier sees competition between the PS3 and XBox360 with top graphics etc, whereas the Wii sits largely untouched in the casual sector, which is absolutely huge.

If Sony think 3D is the next step for consoles, then the consumer has to be ready for 3D. At the moment I can't see people throwing away their HD TVs just yet to get the latest Sony 3D megatron TV or whatever. With the economy as it is it will be a few years before adoption rates start to reach meaningful levels. Sony's driver for 3D consoles is obviously the sales effect it will have on their TV division. People have HD TVs, they want to sell them something newer. Microsoft don't make TVs so they wont be driven that way. They just want to sell more games.

If the next generation of consoles will be anchored on 3D as the selling point, it makes no sense to go for it now as barely anyone will be able to take it up. You couldn't launch a new non-3D console if in a year or two a new 3D one was coming out, it would destroy your sales. In my mind this means that the Premier console market is on hold.

The casual market on the other hand has only really got the Wii and that looks pretty bad on a big screen TV at times. Even a 5 year old 360 is an upgrade in graphics terms compared to the Wii, and this is what Microsoft are doing with it. Put it up against any Wii HD and go for the casual market. This way they can take an old product and really ramp up the profits by selling to Wii owners as a kind of fancier graphics console. This way Microsoft get more sales until the Premier market is ready to move again.

This does however mean that PC gaming has a chance to expand to fill the "Premier" sector by early adoption of 3D etc. It could be golden days for the PC as long as the developers make the most of it.

18. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

LOL

that was 1st thing on my mind after i read the headline...

:wallbash:

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

This. Doubt games released for this will even need to push hardware. What consoles need are keyboard and mouse support for RTS and FPS games, not motion controllers.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

FTFY

Tags: Add Tags