1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Sugo SG07 mini-ITX Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Was this an evaluation sample from Silverstone or the fully-fledged retail model?

I've been waiting for this case to hit stores for what feels like ages and it's a bit disapointing (although it doesn't put me off) that they've made some simple oversights.

Maybe we should hold out for the v2?

Still the best case for a Mini-ITX gaming system but I can't help but wonder how it could've been a tiny bit better...

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is full retail. Retail box + packaging delivered straight from Silverstone HQ (in torrential rain actually).

What do you find disappointing?

4. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Just minor issues you pointed out, the power connector fouling the expansion card retention, and the cable lengths.

They're so minor you wonder why they went fixed before launch.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited about this case but I just thought Silverstone would nail it.

5. spacey_0

spacey_0 What's a Dremel?

stainless or full alu would of been much nicer. if it were carbon fiber it would be my dream itx case for sure. its still a beautifully function case

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Alu would cost 1.5x as much and not be as strong. The construction in steel is as solid as a brick-s***house. Aluminium is a soft metal - great to look at but it's a soft metal and shouldn't really be used for thin construction joints. Afaik Stainless is extremely difficult to work with anything other than sheets and it's more expensive again.

JCBeastie - I see, and agree. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Jun 2010
  7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Also, carbon fibre? You'd be talking £800+ for that case in an all-CF makeup. Even then it's not very strong in certain directions, not to mention the vicious shards it'd make if you broke it.

8. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

It's nice but I still prefer the SG05. The Iron Man (actually more War-machine) fascia is stylin' but I still find myself coming back to the SG05, maybe because the front seems more mod friendly and that's appealing to me.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2010
  9. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Now if it wasn't for the price i may have used this with my upcoming htpc.

My atcs 840 was only £20 more :eek:

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It didn't come with a custom 600W PSU though, did it? ;)

11. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Not too sure from the pics, but the SG05 looks easier to watercool with the 120mm fan in the front...

Would it be relatively easy to install a 120.1 rad in the top of the SG07?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Uh, no. It's a 180mm fan. Unless you remove the fan and mod in a bracket to 120mm and use a thin rad. But then your barbs from the block and rad face each other so it's 90 degree ones.

It's not made for watercooling really, although removing the PSU and swapping it for a 350W SFX would give you more space for a pump in the front - then just put an SSD in the roof where the optical drive would be.

13. DarkFear

Heh, I'd bet 80%+ of people on BT has hardware that's doing things that it's not supposed to :D

But thanks, that's what I thought yeah...

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I meant in as much that the SG05 is better suited ;)

15. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

+1 except it has put be off, sounds like psu cables are to long and it isn't modular..........if a 3rd party made avilable a modular psu and i could by the case with no psu i'd get 1

16. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

lol it'd be sweet hacking in a coolit eco somehow

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was wrong! Silverstone just emailed to point out that the 180mm bracket has holes for a 120mm fan! So you CAN install a 120+rad quite easily! :)

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_...sugo-sg07-mini-itx-case-review/sg07-fan-1.jpg - you can see the four holes on there.

You could, maybe, possibly fit in an Eco or H50 - it depends how flexible the tubing is without snapping.

You can't do that still. There's no space for the modular plugs to go. You'd have to use some very low profile mod plugs with cables at 90 degrees to actually make it work with the graphics card.

18. Konias

Konias What's a Dremel?

SG07
    The version with windows looks nicer to me. I want full aluminium front plate. Like was on Sugos before.
    I have SG01 complete made from 1mm aluminium. And this will be my next sff case I thing. I hope there will be some revision. Replace power conector atc.

My future small AMD dragon sys:
    AMD Phenom II X4 905E
    New ASUS boartd M4A88T-I Deluxe
    4Gb DDR3 ( Notebook size :( )
    SSD System Drive + 1 - 2Tb Data drive
    ASUS Radeon 4850 1Gb ( upgrade to Radeon 6xxx )
    SPU Cooler ??? Dont now yet

The next very well looking case will be Lian-Li V354 microATX Case

New ASUS

19. DarkFear

Cool, thanks for the update. :thumb:

Also, I suspected that you were wrong yes. I'm never wrong you know. With that in mind, I predict that the world won't end until sometime after 21 December 2012 :p

20. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

I hate the front therefore it gets a big thumbs down for me! Why change the great looks of the sg05..??

Tags: Add Tags