1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft extends Windows downgrade rights

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Go XP Go!!!!

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

XP = epic OS

Dare I say it - Microsoft was on to a winner with XP - TBH they still haven't topped it (compared to each new release's previous generation, like XP over 2000)

4. Pooeypants

Pooeypants What's a Dremel?

I used XP until WIn 7 was matured but even I truly believe it should be confined to the archives. Time to let that old fossil lay to rest, because in computer terms, it is ancient...

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I have to say it but I feel this is purely down to lazy IT (so called) professionals who refuse to study up on Server2008 and Windows 7. Yes I know it costs money to take the courses but in this ever changing industry you cannot sit on the fence and grab your comfort XP blanket because you can't do your own job anymore!

I've met countless businesses in my line of work who are using Windows7 friendly thirdparty software but have just been sold a new IT system with XP as it's foundation. That is an absolute disgrace and the sooner these dinosaurs leave the industry the better!

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Shouldn't that be 7?

Anyway, does this mean that you could downgrade to Vista as well? Sounds like a bargain - buy 7, get vista and XP free.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Windows 7 is much, much better than XP. I used to be firmly in the "I'm not leaving XP" camp, until I built my new machine and decided to try it. Windows 7 is much better, and nowhere near as bad as people think it is. It's got the stability of Windows XP mixed in with better user-friendliness and looks. Overall, Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

It's time to let go of XP, and with that, let go of 32-bit OSes.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I bought Win7 Pro in last year's pre-order deal, but have yet to install it. While I generally find Win7 quite good and massively better than Vista there're some things (particularly in regard to the UI), which put me off Win7. I'm hoping SP1 will address them, but I'm not holding my breath...

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Don't know what you're talking about. :worried:

10. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

There's a whole host of reason not to upgrade, those with machines circa 2003-5 (P4/AGP), wont get much luck with *full* hardware compatibility. Two examples I have here at home is ATi 9800 XT, and a Logitech Webcam 3000Pro, no driver support.

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

xp is only going to be supported for 5 more years (2015? I think support ends)

do not see why this was needed

vista I understand as it every bad on the system, where ad win7 works well on low end systems

12. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I managed to get a new PC at work ordered and I have a nice quad core with 6 gig RAM soon to be ready.
    it even came with windows XP pre-installed already downgraded from windows 7.
    I had to ditch that and put 7 back on.
    XP has had a good innings and I know my way around the OS like the back of my hand. but it is indeed time to move on.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

vista isnt that poor i know most say its really made of epic fail but i used it for 2-3 years without issues. Its stable enough and driver support like all 64bit os can be a bit wierd but if your using mostly modern products

vista is better than xp even

win 7 is better than both

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Like many, I was firmyl in the XP camp all through Vista, but as soon as I tried Win7 there was no looking back. Trying to do anything on XP without Snap and auto-preview in Alt-Tab just makes me feel fustrated.

15. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Enough XP! Give it up businesses, it's time has gone.

16. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

why give it up? it works for what most companies need from an OS,

Outlook, Share Point, word, Excel, power point , printing and .net

until something is no longer supported why migrate?

i agree that any new computer coming to the office that has win7 should remain that way in theory, but it is easier to keep one client profile if your existing PCs are all xp (both in terms of maintenance and administration)

Proudly posted from a WIndows 7 machine in an office :)

17. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I'm not sure that XP is the main problem - rather the number of large organisations using out of date hardware and then don't understand why they have poor productivity or experience negative feedback from the users. Saying that, i personally think that WIn 7 is by far the best MS OS that i've used.

18. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

XP Professional was great, but IMHO, Windows 7 is just as good if not better. I've had no stability issues and not a single crash since installing in December last year. I use my PC predominately for gaming.

I did have problems trying to run one of my old favorite racing games, EVO2 4x4, but I think that's because of the 64 bit OS more than anything else. At least that gave me an excuse to hook up the HP Pavilion (Vista 32 bit) to my 40" Samsung 1080p flatscreen to play it. OMG! That game is so much better on the big screen. I can see why some people prefer consoles these days if they are playing on a decent size high def TV.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I still don't see the point in upgrading my PC, I'll probably wait until I build my next PC to install Win 7

Once I get a laptop for college I'll be running win 7, XP Pro and Ubuntu, hopefully I won't have any issues

20. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

There are still plenty of companies using XP to run DOS-based programs.

Tags: Add Tags