1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft defends Kinect pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

...They have a point, you know.
    While I don't quite see me buying Kinect, 6player controller (albeit a pure fun controller) for 130GBP is rather on the cheap side...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Microsoft defends the Kinect pricing by describing it as an "all in one unit" where "you don't have to buy anything else" - apart from a >£100 Xbox 360, of course.

All in two unit? Not quite as catchy.

4. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

yes a all in one price is great.. imagine a console with wifi a hd and blueray all together - that'd be a deal a consumern couldnt possibly pass up for 425 quid - even if there is a cheaper entry option from a competitor...

what? ps3 bombed at that price? oh

5. TickleOnTheTum

TickleOnTheTum What's a Dremel?

Yes, but not so cheap if you are only ever going to be playing it alone!

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

130 rofl

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The higher the price, the bigger the flop it will be....

The bigger the flop, the quicker they will bring an all new Xbox to market.....

Lets hope its a miserable failure......

8. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

So who has 6 people round all the time? :eek:

9. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

Considering the price of game packs such as guitar hero which have accessories only for one game i think this is pretty good value.

10. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

The playstation lollipop is £35 and then you need to spend £25 to be able to move (the analogue stick part). So if you think that for the same money you can "only" get 2 people playing on the PS3 it doesn't seem so bad... Though I still think they are both utterly stupid and i hope they die a horrible death.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Even so nearly all console gamers I know spend the majority of time on single player and any multiplayer is done online. Personally I wouldn't want to buy something thats priced for 2players when I could of just bought one controller for single player for PS3 and not have to find a mate to justify spending extra money on something I rarely would use.
    As I use consoles for multiplayer partys tho their pricing does make sense but still seems like a kid who sees his older brother do something and then justify copying him with "He's doing it so I done it too!" PS3 move still looks better tho and the wii is still fine for parties.

12. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Would have done better by selling it cheaper and having plug in modules that allowed more users.

Doubt people would object to paying £40-50 for the 1 player experience, then an extra £15-20 per additional user, up to 6 total.

13. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

The thinking is generally to let the software sales bring in the cash, the only reason I can see for launching the hardware at this price is that even M$ think the games are going to be crap.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Far too expensive for single player users.

15. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Also unless its changed, you can only have 3 player on PS Move as the PS3 can only handle 7 bluetooth devices, and since move is two separate controllers you can only get 3 pairs.

So makes the Kinect look even better value for money

16. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Of course, if you have 6 people playing a 6 player game, all flailing themselves around like morons, what size room are you going to need?

Not everyone lives in a vast mansion lol.

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Ya, but who will buy a product that only has one game that plays properly and that game is made by a third party studio and made for Dance Dance Revolution lovers?

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

They have a point, when you figure buying 2-3 wii remotes, or the same for ps3 you come close to the same price, and I mean buying name brand not 3rd party. But it would be nice if they brought it down just a bit more.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The thing is, not many people buy these things for single player.
    I for one wouldn't buy a Kinect so I can look like a tosser while playing Forza. Just not happening. What might happen is that I buy a Kinect to play... i dunno - pinhata bash on with my friends, mainly because then playing games becomes a spectator sport... sortof like the guitar hero nights we ahve, where half the people play GH and the other half sit and laugh at how stupid everyone that's playing looks.
    In that light, the kinexct is AWESOME value for money.
    Saying you wouldn't buy one for single player is like saying that you wouldn't buy the GH world tour pack for single player: Absolutely right. You'd buy it to play with friends.

As for the "but you still need a >100 pound PS3" - please...

20. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Assuming your friends visit you regularly, it is good value. If its more of an infrequent occurance, then its much like the single player problem.

And its only a matter of time before theres "Microsoft Flail-like-a-moron Exercise Studio".

Tags: Add Tags