1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dual-core Glacier details leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I think they were working on the lines of:
    Glacier = Cool

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I am starting to wonder what the point of a super powerful processor is in a device that will be used almost exclusively for texting and playing the occasional app.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

True. My GHz ARM power phone is snappy enough. Surely dual core phones will have a shorter battery life, unless there's some clever power management going on.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Stand-by battery time: 10minutes.

6. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Yeah, my Desire already has low battery life @ 1GHz single core, I'd hate to see what a 1.2GHz dual core does to the battery.

7. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Agreed, a 1Ghz is plenty fast enough for a phone. My Desire is also a pain in the ass for battery time. Looking to buy a spare to carry around with me but there a bit pricey :(:(

8. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

it's probably named due to the rate that the glaciers are melting, due to "global warming" caused by the release of the GTX 480 and ati 5970 toxic!!!!

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

GLBenchmark is, as the name implies, an openGL bench
    1st gen Snapdragon has a pretty crap gpu core in it which is why the galaxy s scores so much better, the cpu cores are pretty comparable but the gpu is far superior in the samsung

if these benches are true then it looks like qualcomm have finally updated the gpu core but doesnt really tell us much about how the cpu has changed

edit: also even the current CPUs in smartphones are really very slow, i cant find it now but one of the anandtech smartphone articles did a wifi speed test and the iphone was cpu limited to about 15Mbit while hte snapdragon android phones did a lot better they still couldnt max out a wifi link purely due to not having enough cpu power
    thats without even doing anything with the data, throw in having to actual render the page/video/whatever you're downloading...

dual core snapdragons will almost certainly be built on a smaller process and so will use less power, theres also the 'faster cpus finish doing stuff more quickly and go back to sleep' theory which should help them out
    tbh i wouldnt expect the battery life to be any worse with new a dual core snapdragon

Last edited: 5 Aug 2010
  10. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

well you cant really compare the galaxy s with this phone for one main reason

unless they spent ages redesining there os then you would not be able to affectively use the second core

look at xp for example it is not as efficent at using dual,quad or hexacore processors as say windows vista or 7

if they did a benchmark and disabled one of the phisical cores then it would give a much mroe realistic benchmark compared to other phones

11. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

Of course, it's named to remind us that our insatiable demand for the latest gadget is destroying the planet.

12. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

lolz

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

from me using an g1 phone before the desire bat seems just about fine (get Android system info and sort tasks by CPU ignoring the app it self as it will be using CPU when monitoring not when background) the g1 had to get an 2000mha bat as it was very poor even on 2g only connection, the desire I can keep on 3g/Highspeed I get norm day and an half

still think it should come with an 2000mha bat as that make it last 2 or 3 days (or day and half with fringe rinning

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I read an article, forget which site, maybe Engadget, that said dual core CPUs will help battery life, not hurt it.

The idea is that during standby or just texting/talking, the second core is just turned off.

When the phone needs to multi-task, the second core can be turned on.

Granted, it's not saying that a 1GHz dual core is more energy efficient than a 1GHz single core, it's saying that increasing the core count will improve battery life instead of increasing the clock rate for a desired level of performance.

There is not as much legacy software that needs to be incorporated into Android. Dual core phones have been rumored for awhile, so I'm sure they're making changes to optimize it for dual core. Android is a much more compact OS than Windows, and doesn't have to be written in a way that software from 1995 will still run on it. Remember, this isn't like gaming where you want one program to use all available cores. The idea is more multi-tasking oriented, so you can use different apps at the same time.

15. phantombudgie

phantombudgie What's a Dremel?

This looks like a good idea, simply because soon we will need to run antivirus on smartphones, which will require another processor core all to itself!

16. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

wake me when we get watercooled phones

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

We don't have the Evo. We're still waiting for the Desire and HTC are already talking about their next phone.

Technology wise, I hate my country

18. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

I hear that Australia is even worse though... so look on the bright side :)

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Slow is relative. My PC has a 10Mbit connection to the Internet and I can assure you that it throws web pages up almost instantly. Not exactly drumming my fingers while downloading tracks either.

My iPhone 4 is also very snappy. How much speed do you actually need on a mobile device --especially when browsing on 3G broadband speeds? Are you likely to download HD movies much? Do that rendering in SolidWorks for iPhone?

The CPU on the iPhone 4 and current Android devices is fine as it is. No good having speed you don't need sucking juice you can't afford.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually, wouldn't having a dual core save a bit of power seeing as it won't both be @ load?

Tags: Add Tags