1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kinect can't read sign language

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Did you know that sign language is usually different in each language? That would make it even more difficult.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I did. There are not only different languages, but many people fail to realise how diverse the languages are and how, like any linguistic or communicative device, they naturally evolve through use. Thus, there are also different dialects, accents, slang and even diglossic elements within the various sign language communities.

4. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

wasn't Kinect also marketed as a product to help disabled children? To interact with autistic and deaf children?
    What use is it otherwise if it'll just work like an EyeToy?

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Well, I hope it can recognise the sign language that players will give it after experiencing its immense input lag.

Altron likes this.
  6. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

In other words "Kinect that is shipping next holiday will support sign language."

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Being unable to keep up with individual movements. Fair enough.
    Not having a camera with a high enough resolution to make out individual fingers. Just how low a resolution do you need for that!? My god damn EyeToy could do better!

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The idea of any computer being able to make sense of sign language is laughable. They can barely parse typed sentences meaningfully. Spoken word is just about getting there, but only for brief unambiguous instructions.

Sign language is incredibly complex. As CardJoe says, it differs not only across nations, but also regions and generations. Although to signing people of different countries can understand each other fairly well (many signs have visually descriptive and intuitive roots) there is also specific idiom, metaphor, contraction, dialect and new made-up-on-the-spot-for-ease-of-conversation sign.

10. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Its not that it cant recognise fingers, its that it cant recognise them easily.

Its probably a combination of resolution, focal distance and processing speed.

Its like head tracking, it doesnt follow your head, it follows your eyes or nose, but not the head as a whole.

11. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

Why, that's the Apple policy. Why bring out a product that does everything this year, when we can stretch it out over 8 years and make people buy a new one each year.

12. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

:D
    I actually laughed at this.
    +1 rep for r3loaded

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

This is your Virtual Boy, Microsoft.

14. jian5

jian5 What's a Dremel?

Kinect will definitely not support sign language recognition in any way, a Microsoft spokesperson told Kotaku - at least, for now anyway.

15. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

Microsoft not offering a feature they didn't advertise it would have. Shocking stuff.

16. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

Well i would bash but i cannot understand it either. Maybe semaphore will be it cannot possibly miss the flags.

17. lilreaper88

lilreaper88 What's a Dremel?

Apparently they actually had to downgrade the camera that they used for i don't what reason, but originally I think it was able to understand some form of Sign language dilect though it would be impossible for it to know all forms as their are more forms of signing than there are of spoken languages.

18. Synikal Ali

Synikal Ali What's a Dremel?

well, we wouldnt want microsoft to work too hard for the sheer amount of cash these things are gonna make em would we?

Tags: Add Tags