1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus CineVibe Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 15 Aug 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

I have the Skullcandy Skullcrushers, and they have the same awesome rumble feature which I love using when playing games. Instead of just a switch, however. It has a slider too. So you can choose however much rumble you want.

It's a similar price, and I would imagine the ear cups being more comfortable as they're not circles, but kind of an oval cupping shape.
    Brilliant for gaming, and brilliant for blasting Pendulum or Prodigy from my iPod. :p

These do look like a nice set of headphones, I'd like to get the chance to use them to compare.

3. Morlok

Morlok Stuck in New Eden

hmm.. 'on' rather than 'in' or 'around' your ears sounds like they are neither one thing or the other and therefore prone to slip? The tip for us spec wearers helped me discard this from any 'worth a look' list straight away.

Any headset mic should not be so sensitive so as to pick up the cat fighting in the street 4-doors-down so the sensitivity would have all my corp/clan/guild m8's laughing or whinging in game or anyone on the end of a skype call asking me to ask my kids to turn their music down.

So do I invest the best part of 60 quid in something that seems to just offer 'rumble' over my current Logitech 120 that cost me < 20 quid and has the added value of a noise cancelling mic or something that 'rumbles'? I agree with the sentiment here, not a lot of value, especially at this price.

4. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

"Our round-the-neck testing also proved to be a comfortable, if self-conscience experience." Should be self-conscious, I think.

Also, "We (or rather, our colleagues were pleased to hear little noise leak from the CineVibe." you forgot to close that parenthesis. >.>

/nitpick

I think these vibrating phones are weird. I see the appeal, and I do want to try some, but why oh why isn't the vibration adjustable? And why can't they pair it with some phones that actually sound awesome?

Oh well. :p

5. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I always stay the hell away from any "gaming" headphones or headsets. They always have vastly inferior audio quality next to an even decent pair of Sennheisers, Audio Technicas, Denons etc. I always find them muddy, synthetic and totally lacking in detail. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but personally I prefer a balanced, natural sound and I have never ever seen a pair of gaming-branded headphones that even comes close to delivering this. You simply aren't going to get gimmick-laden headphones with good sound quality for less than $100 USD, unless your standards for "good" are "Skullcandy", in which case you need to seriously reevaluate your life choices.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Sounds a bit gimmicky, would rather spend my money on better audio quality.

7. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

i have a question , a USB connected headset ,do they still give you the sound effect of say Sound Blaster X-Fi or EAX 5 or THX or are they software emulated . please post only if you know some facts on this .

8. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

I rather have big headphones that dont hurt my ears after an hour of use. I have technics Headphones that just about cup my ears and clamp on for dear life and they hurt my ears after an hour because I wear glasses. Headphone designers shouls take into consideration glasses wearers and make the padding work in such a way that it doesnt push on the arms of the glasses around your ears.

9. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Mistake on the very first line!

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I use Ultimate Ears 700 and they sound great and even for being in ear design have better bass then the surround ear style but I also have Steel Series USB 5H v2 which sound awesome as well.

11. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

USB headsets act as their own external sound card. The sound card in your computer cannot interact with it so you are stuck with whatever is built into the headset. For the Creative Sound Blaster Arena, I think it is equivalent in features to an X-Fi.

There was an error in the Xonar Xense bundle review where the reviewer mentioned alternatively pairing a USB Sound Blaster Arena with a Xonar DX, which is impossible. I mentioned it but no one seemed to notice.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

GrapeFlavor is correct USB headphones can not interact with a sound card as they are both independent devices and that the USB Headphones have their own built in sound card, he is also right in that Bit-Tech has yet to correct their error as of yet. The only thing I can think of is that they might have meant that using the Arena for communication and then using the Xonar DX for game audio would work in those respect but if they are talking in terms of what GrapeFlavor believes then it would certainly not work.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Bit-tech should review some real headphones. Like the Sony MDRv6, or the MDR-CD9000st.

14. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

By "real" headphones you mean $500+ headphones, right? The fact is you can get pretty great sound quality with the SB Arena, or, my favorite Razer Carcharias for $80-$100.

I don't doubt super-expensive audiophile headphones have a quality edge, but the market of people willing to pay many times the price for that relatively small boost in your listening experience is probably pretty low. I'd suspect that small market is why bit-tech doesn't focus their resources on it.

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

The V6's can be had for a meager $60 U.S. The CD9000st's are $200 but have to be imported, as Sony has yet to distribute them outside of Japan.

I'm well aware that great audio quality can be achieved at a low cost. I am and audiophile, but not in the poor sense. I pursue accurate sound reproduction, where each step taken to improve the performance of my system is not merely perception but is quantifiable.

I use a pair of modified Behrigner 2030p studio monitors. They can be had for $130 U.S. and modifications can be done for $40. Here's the measured frequency response, waterfall, and off axis response.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/WafflesOMD/fr_waterfall_detail_offaxis_1M-1.gif?t=1281930771

16. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

G33K alert!!!

haha - i have a pair of sennheiser HD215's, not the top of the range ones, but seriously better than anything branded "gaming" that money can buy. There are two types of people here, and i find it interesting that they don't cerossover more. There are pure technophiles, like myself, that strive for perfection in every aspect of my technological experience, and then there are those that love some geekery, and not the rest. Read: people who buy a GTX480 and a massive 24"+ monitor then use onboard souncards with those *horrible* cheap 2.1 or 5.1 systems you get from maplins for £24.99.

For me, the audio quality is AS important as the video quality. Seeing as my machine is my stereo half the time, if i was using those desktop satellite speakers or sub-standard headphones, i would very much consider selling my GPU to get better ones.

Just my take on things. These look like a waste of time unless you are 12 and addicted to counter strike in a very unhealthy way. In other words, if you want these, you need to get out more.

Tags: Add Tags