1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Aug 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Looks amazing.
    In the latest CPC issue its for the first of november.. Is that just speculation?
    And since when was it a open beta?

3. SDG

SDG What's a Dremel?

"soon"

or

"when its ready"

but on a serious note iv not seen anything other than the 1st of nov, they have the box art out now and stuff so it may actually be true

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I still don't like the new talents, i don't see what was currently wrong with them?
    It just means less specc's and uneven levels, mean nothing now.

Wahey i leveled! But i got nothing!

5. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

@unknownsock: I seem to recall someone from Blizz saying that you'd get alternate talent points and new spells, or something like that.

I can understand why a long-time WoW player wouldn't understand the need for new talents trees. Having seen what happened to a few other MMORPG's as they aged, progressive advancement in complexity only leads to a game so complex that the learning curve forbids new players from enjoying themselves. When that happens the game becomes marginalised to the impenetrable clique of long-time players who rode the wave of increasing complexity.

I can remember back to when WoW had no PvP, it's changed a hell of a lot since then and needs a reboot to get it back to it's simplistic intentions. My fiance also plays WoW (hands off, she's mine!) but has no clue what talent trees do what. That's something quite basic and should be obvious, even to new players, but in WotLK it isn't anymore. Most of us know what does what because we have experience to tell us that.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2010
  6. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

@unknownsock
    As Stoney said, ye. Every level you go up you either get a new spell or a new talent point alternating all the way up to 83 as it stands.

7. Unknownsock

Ah right didn't know that.
    Havn't played for a few months now, i just find the game is getting way too casual nowadays. As stupid as it sounds i loved the complexity of the talent trees's nowadays, you could have endless combinations to how you wanted your character for whatever reason.
    Mine used too! Although i did her talents for her :p
    And i find it extremely hard to believe WoW will get many more players, its been around so long now, everyone else will have tried it, or just generally don't like the genre.

Vanilla and Early BC was still the best imo, although questing as become constantly better.
    Wiping on Drak/vael/nef for several weeks then finally killing him, nothing has beat that feeling since.

8. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

I may have to load wow back up and check out the beta. Got kind of burnt out on it (started playing about 2 months after release of vanilla) and took a break.

9. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

The beta is open in that it has no NDA attached but is still invite only.

I'd put my money on about a 12th November release (exactly 2 years after wrath) in time for winter holidays.

The new talents look nice to me, you have to pick a primary tree then you are handed core abilities plus given a 'mastery' (such as extra damage or mana regen) that increases as you move down the talent tree. Have a play here http://www.wowtal.com/

Last edited: 18 Aug 2010
  10. Unknownsock

I like that core abilities are now none TP abilities but still, its abit simple aint it?
    Every class will now be exacly the same. No weird and situation builds running around.
    I need to read more into it, but as you can guess i dont like it!

11. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Don't see how it'd be any different from how it is now. There's a handful, at best, of cookie cutter builds for each spec which everyone uses. The only weird builds are put together by people new to the game or people who, wrongly, think they know better.

12. Unknownsock

There are plenty of builds you can do based on the situation. Yes there some cookie cutter builds that everyone uses. But their are some other decent ones too, for example back in BC i used a 0/20/31 wyvern sting build for my hunter, which almost no-one used but i did very well in arena, and was almost un-touchable vs melee or when i would respecc 30/21/0 for grinding instances/old raids solo.

There is a long list of other examples. And even in the cookie cutter builds there is slight variation.

How blizz just give us 3 choices and then we just get the abilities whilst leveling up from trainers, make it even more simpler whilst were at it?

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm sorry but what has what you could do in TBC got to do with the current state of WoW?

How about you find a more up to date example from your long list? And there will still be slight variations to talent builds in Cataclysm, even more than there is now if Blizz succeeds in their aims.

Talents builds haven't been complicated for a long time, everything is theorycrafted to death within days of a new patch being announced and then you just go find the updated build for your spec. The only complex thing about them is the amount of unwieldy bloat they contain which makes them appear far more complicated than is necessary for what they're supposed to be.

14. Unknownsock

It was an example? Yes 'slight' variations.

Yea talents builds have never been complicated when you knew them but compare whats their now with what will be their? It's pretty obvious what i mean.

But whatever you can go play your game like a sheep. It still limits what we can do. And i mean more than just end game raiding or perfect arena builds.

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Making something so obtuse that you need to spend hours upon hours theorycrafting and simming to be able tell if one talent is better than another and even then in some cases still not being able to come up with a definitive answer is not a sign of good design. Complexity through crappy design and over-complicated mechanics is not something to aspire to.

Oh the irony of claiming that the changes in Cata will make people play the game like sheep when the ridiculous state that the talent trees have gotten into means that's exactly what is happening right now in WotLK. As it is having fewer talents overall but building what are currently must-have talents directly into abilities means there should be more choice for people when it comes to talent builds. You won't be gimping yourself to the same degree by passing over one talent for another and it should open the door for more flavour talents as opposed to must-have dps/tanking/healing talents.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

problem is alot of the vets are leaving the game in there droves now from the bigger guilds who have had enough of the same old trash.

Blizzard needs the raid content to be only tested internally no ptr testing and let the raiders raid again no heroic crap

make instance the way its ment to be wipe or kill that was wow. Now its just uber casual and anyone can kill everything if you have the paitience thats not raiding thats just free epics.

Im in the beta granted the new quests are fun and goblin area is pretty amazing. But if the end game is as easy as naxx malygos was upon release then we can claim our free loot and come back 6months later for the 2nd tier of the expansion. WOW lacks Depth to keep the elite intrested but the elite isnt there main subscribers anymore its every casual fan who wants some epics to pass the time.

The new talent system is pretty lame. 51 point talent builds had some variation. 31 point is 3 playable builds as dps 1 dps 1 dps aoe 1 dps pvp, Since you can have 2 for duel talents all pve people have duel dps pve and the pvp person takes his pvp talents. ( if you think people dont switch talents for just 1 boss your very wrong or never did lich king heroic )

guild talents were removed and replaced with guild rewards which any half decent guild will pick up on the release of the launch for the dark phoinix mount

Druid healing is 80% rejuv

Things wont change just get easier its not like any of the guild rewards will be rare

obtaining the 6 legendary items requires a slightly skilled guild who can clear a few instances. ( most of these instances on farm. 4 of the instances are level 70 or below ) if blizz screw with the drop rate you might have to wait a bit for it.

feel sorry for anyone without 310% flyer as well 5k gold for a simple flight speed increase seems a bit overkill

17. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Wow, never realised just how dated WoW looks by now. There even are some f2p MMOs that blow it out of the water graphics wise.

18. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I disagree with you here. I think Blizz has made a good move making the game more casual. Catering to the loudest bunch of forum whiners (also known as hardcore raiders, if you like), is not good business, nor it's a good game. Bringing out content which only 1-2% of the audience can experience is just plain stupid.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Word. Although arguably the Random Group Finder does cater to casual players as much as needs to be done. The most casual-unfriendly part of dungeons and raids was always the forming and waiting, not the content. I'd like to see some more complex dungeons and raids. "Casual" doesn't necessarily mean "simple"; just because people play the game less often, doesn't mean they're stupid.

Of course, there are plenty of stupid players who can't tie their own laces, but if Blizzard start tuning the game to their competence levels it'll just go to ****.

Only into another MMORPG. I've been waiting for the next good one to be released. The new 40k one looks promising.

20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Wow, I understood even less of that article than I did the book on cosmology and dark matter I read.

Tags: Add Tags