1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dragon Age 2 to import savegames

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

That sounds like a good idea.

The link at the end needs fixing.

3. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Cant wait for this.
    Gonna have to play through DA again to get my decent toon done!

4. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

Not knowing this was one of the points that left some of the more veciferous people on the forums very bitter. Seeing that they did this with ME2, I always expected them to do this. It's good to get confirmation, though. Maybe now some of the nerd-ragers will stop whining.....

Ha! Sometimes I'm so funny, I make me want to hug myself.

5. fortunetek

fortunetek What's a Dremel?

Please, PLEASE fix this mistake in the article: the main characters name is spelled "Hawke," not Hock.

Understandable mistake given the oral nature of the presentation, but it just screams a lack of quality writing, knowledge about the game, and a lack of effort in doing even the most cursory google search about the topic.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Are the saves on steam cloud? If not I won't have them.

7. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I imagine it'll be only the most basic of plot points, like whether Alistair became king, that are actually carried over. Kind of a shame since it seems like a bit of a waste. I know that "import your old saves" is supposed to be a selling point, but if it has no function in the game other than aesthetic, why should I care? With Awakening it made sense to bring in your old hero, and they did a decent job of justifying it in Mass Effect 2, but Dragon Age 2 takes place like a hundred years after the first...

Then again, I'm not even sure if I'll be buying this one. It sounds like from everything I've heard that it will be a much shorter, less open ended, and far more directed game, not to mention lacking in tactical depth in favour of "visceral action" or whatever ******** they vomit out. BioWare's games are increasingly designed by marketing and EA's executives, and I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to start voting with my dollar.

8. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I read that as: "less padding, tighter story, more cinematic and action that's easier to control". Long, unfocussed and difficult aren't necessarily gaming virtues - not for everyone, anyway.

As for it becoming more like Mass Effect 2 - I only wish every game could be so good.

9. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Am I the only person who thought Dragon Age was massively overrated? It's not a bad game, its just a average, generic RPG with a load of crap bolted on to sell it to pre-teens. Now before anyone starts complaining I mean average in a 7-8 review (as that seems to be what the "average" game gets these days) as opposed to 5 :)

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

You're not the only one. I bought it in the Steam Sale, and promptly uninstalled it less than a week later. I've still got my saved game, but I don't know if I can bring myself to trudge through the game :(

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

let's see in dragon age I got morganna pregnant.. I had sex with a dwarf and had to watch my back during battle when the elf assassin was behind me

I think I'll start fresh.. too much baggage

12. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

You mean Morrigan. Morgana is the witch from the BBC's "Merlin" series, based on Morgan le Fay. Too much TV, not enough Dragon Age!! :D

As far as the game goes, it's good that they're carrying characters over, and it would be nice to see little details carry through through I imagine it will be more simplistic. Personally I'm not thrilled that Dragon Age is becoming more like Mass Effect.

The way I see it, Mass Effect was a slightly simplified though far more immersive follow up to the old KOTOR games. Dragon Age was a continuation of Neverwinter Nights. Both are very different Bioware RPGs, and I liked how they were kept in their own seperate sub-genres until now.

Mass Effect is more cinematic; dramatic and exciting for the majority of the game, but rather simplistic. Dragon Age is like a fantasy novel read-your-own-adventure - it's got much more depth to it, and personally that's important to me.

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

They're not. Read it again :)

14. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

it's obvious game will focus on morrigan's and the main char's kid, just watch the trailer, he even looks a little like old witch and has the same dress sense...

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

For a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, it sure was gash. I have played a total of maybe 6 hours of it, split between two different run throughs (started it, got bored, started again, got bored). Seriously not that good a game.

16. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Oh, I see. Yes that makes sense, as "Hawke" is fully voice acted. I wasn't thinking when I typed that, obviously.

17. dylawesome

dylawesome What's a Dremel?

While I appreciate good voice acting, for many of the games I like, I would prefer no voice acting and more game & dialogue flexibility.

Tags: Add Tags