1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IE9 beta launched

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 16 Sep 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

I'm sorry, but your article is simply not as in depth as the BBC article. You haven't explained it at all well. Good job we have the BBC's technical reporters to mop up after you......

3. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

Not bad for a beta, but I think it lacks customization like firefox and chrome. I'm really liking the look of it though, but I'm not convinced that having tabs on the same level as the search bar works too well.

Does anyone else find it annoying that the back button has the bottom chopped off?

4. s_tether

s_tether What's a Dremel?

Boo! it doesn't work on XP on my work PC !

5. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

So should I download this and Adobe 64bit and run 'em together?

6. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

"Fans of the Aero Snap feature of Windows 7, which allows windows to be dragged to certain areas to be automatically resized to exactly fill half the screen, will be pleased to hear that the same functionality has been added to Internet Explorer - only rather than affecting entire windows, it affects tabs, and allows users to easily see two tabs side by side."

I've been waiting for this since tabs were introduced to IE! Installing now. Be right back!

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

So I installed this yesterday and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Speedy, responsive, no-sheit GUI, M$ have outdone themselves. Shame there isn't that Firefox pimp-my-browser feel to it.

On the other hand, I ran Firefox 4.0 Beta 6 with Direct2D enabled, and it didn't do too bad on the IE9 testsite (about half the performance, but then again, I have no idea how M$ made the site...).

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I like it having only used it for half an hour or so. As this is only the first Beta, I'm sure the customization will come before final release.

Nice one Microsoft!

9. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Had a quick play with it and so far so good. I doubt it will make me shift from Firefox but it's a big step in the right direction.

10. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

So far it's great.

11. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

All my favourites and settings and passwords are all in Firefox, so as above I doubt I'll be making a full migration - but for a beta, I'm very impressed. It genuinely does feel snappy, the UI is good and even on sites like scan.co.uk, you seem to be able to feel the GPU acceleration working (when you click the product links on the top of the site - the popup window opening transition feels smoother than in FF3.6). As above, more customisation would be nice, but I'm sure that'll come if IE9 delivers in RTW. EDIT - Also 95/100 in Acid3 is nice :p

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It imports settings from Firefox, in case you're curious. Also I'd recommend keeping that stuff on xmarks (which works with IE, FF, Chrome and Safari).

13. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol...except whenever i try and import all my bookmarks from Firefox, it either crashes or will only import the basic, after 1st install, bookmarks...not the 150 odd other bookmarks i have.

14. Snips

The rest of the day has been pretty much incident free using IE9.

Can't really see how some are saying they will never move from FF just from an afternoon of the Beta version. I feel even at this early stage IE9 ticks all the boxes and some more that FF and Chrome don't.

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I don't believe anyone has said that.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You can tick the box of IE9 Beta screwing All CPU Meter gadget.

17. Snips

Sorry reading too many forums saying this and correct no one above has said never, just not convinced by it and making like for like comparisons against current full versions and this Beta version.

My All CPU meter seems to be working fine. What's yours doing?

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    My was just a grey box. Others have reported it too.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i like the way that if a website link opens another window, you can grab the tab, and move it next to another tab on a different window

20. enciem

enciem Minimodder

Can't say I like it. It now looks a bit like chrome except doesn't seem as fast

Tags: Add Tags