1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD rolls drivers into Steam

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

This is excellent news. The closer we get to just having the one button to press (i.e. launch Steam) to make all the updates automatic, the better.

3. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

What a damn fine idea.

The green camp should take note. I would love to have this for my GPU

4. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

So long as they don't make steam mandatory for driver updates in future or make the updates mandatory themselves (Remember the graphics card company that releases a update that had buggy fan control code and so lots of cards got fried?) then its a good idea.

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

It sounds like a nice idea. However, at the moment it seems a bit buggy. Yesterday when I tried to run the steam updater it crashed on me.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No matter what I don't think I'll ever use this feature. Especially them mentioning "automatic updates"... no thanks.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

is it really necessary to update your drivers that often? Especially with older cards newer drivers are often just...bloated.
    Strange though that the automatic updates that don't always work from the driver conrol panel, are now supposed to work from steam.

8. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Wow, cool.

9. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

That's almost a great idea. But they should also provide a way to revert to older version of drivers. I know that catalyst newer than 10.4 totaly f* up support for older OpenGL games - ie. id tech 3 and older.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I used Steam to update it, and I lost Catalyst Control Centre from my tray, couldn't get it back either, or even run it from the exe. Had to download the driver from AMD's website, uninstall it and reinstall to get it working.

11. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, I'll be using this once they've ironed out the bugs.

12. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

so has no-one noticed that nVidia drivers are included in Windows Update in Windows 7?

Granted it's under "optional" but still!

13. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

AMD's drivers are also in Windows Update

14. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Having an alternative location to DOWNLOAD the drivers from doesn't change what a pain in the asre that INSTALLING them is.

15. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

Last time I installed ATI/AMD drivers in Windows 7 (3 days ago) I simply clicked, it installed, and I got back to work. It didn't even ask for a reset and my screen resolution was automatically set back to the proper size. :eyebrow:

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The drivers from Windows Update aren't the full releases, though: they don't come with the respective control panels, and often are based on outdated versions - for the longest time, Nvidia's Windows Update driver crippled the OpenGL performance when the direct download ones were fine.

The key thing here is that AMD is offering the Catalyst driver pack - not just a single WHQL driver for a specific card.

17. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I get emails for my machines with Nvidia cards in direct from Nvidia when new drivers including Beta's are out. I think it would be a bit of an inconvenience when you go to click on "Play" and it stops and says "Install this new driver now". If it does it automatically while steam is running in the background then fine.

For both Nvidia and ATi cards I have, I've install a driver or two in the past that has then just killed the game of the day. So a quick rollback is needed until the game or the driver gets a further tweek.

It's a positive move none the less.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

:D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, I just had to. Have you checked the dates? I got an update.... 2 days ago: drivers from June. Thanks Windows 7! :D

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

This is great as long as its not forced, then awesome, as for windows updates and drivers they tend to be months behind and I never trusted driver updates through windows anyways.

20. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

I installed new drivers through steam. worked like a charm! :)

Tags: Add Tags