1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oracle launches Sparc T3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 21 Sep 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Awesome stuff.

3. Bendill

Bendill What's a Dremel?

Server pr0n!

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yes yes..... But will it play Crysis?

Sorry, but someone had to ask

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Serious stuff.

For those of you who wonder who might use technology like this... well we do at our work (Investment Banking). The Solaris10 platform is still extremely popular for vendor based products that handle trade capture, settlements, and back office trade processing across a number of asset classes. These machines have anywhere between 32 and 128GB of memory and having serious amounts of number crunching power to handle the thousands of trades and accounting entries each day. Parallelism is far more important to us than just clock speed. Each night we process millions of records of data, and the multi core nature of these machines makes a big difference (My team performance tests this stuff)

The servers are often clustered together for real time fail over, and then mirrored to an offsite parallel environment for 2nd level fail over. The kit costs us millions, but such levels of performance are required when you consider the billions of $ of trades that are processed each day. Should we not be able to make payments to our counter party clients on time, the penalties are significant.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i'm glad sun/oracle finally accomplished this.

"Are you pleased to see that there are non-x86 processors out there that are still making an impact, or just wondering when Oracle will give up on Sun's legacy and make the move to a more widespread processor platform?"
    i loled at that. intel and amd have nothing against what ibm and sun/oracle have. x86 is too complex and power consuming for mobile devices, but its not complex enough to beat what PPC or SPARC has to offer. x86 is good for home use or lower-end servers, nothing more, nothing less. sure intel has done a great job at nearly perfecting x86 (i believe intel still has some issues they could fix) but theres only so much you can do. you can keep adding instruction sets but as i see it, eventually there will be so much that older programs and OSes won't even be able to operate anymore.

it really bothers me, because if windows didn't exist then processors would be so much better these days. due to microsoft limiting what they're willing to develop for, intel, amd, and via are stuck working on the same architecture and reinventing the same thing over and over again. whats nice is both companies are forced to make their products better quality, but if they were allowed to invent new architectures that would be windows compatible, then i believe they could make something far better than what ibm or oracle have to offer for a much lower price

7. j0rd

j0rd FLOSS folder

if only pande group would compile f@h for sparc, this thing could fold someone some serious PPD...alas, its not to be

Tags: Add Tags