1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i5-760 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 15 Oct 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Nice. This may well be my next CPU, replacing my Q6600. Might wait and see what happens with Sandy Bridge first though...

3. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

OcUK have this cpu £10 cheaper than you listed today only.

this chip has been out for ages - why so long for the review?

4. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I've got one. Its class.

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Got a Q6600 here, I'm waiting for SB myself.

6. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Last edited: 15 Oct 2010
  7. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

deleted

Last edited: 15 Oct 2010
  8. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

i wonder how long it will take 'til the turbo boost issue is solved. kinda want to know how a fully functioning 760 performs against a 750 or 970BE (at stock)

9. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

A bit better than that. ;-)

10. Xir

Xir Modder

I disagree, with the turboboost working well, you'll save a lot of power (heat and noise) during normal operation but gain the advantage of speed under load.

Yes, it overclocks great to 4.1 Ghz...but it uses 100W more (which you need to cool away).
    All the time you're...surfing bit-tech :D , it doesn't need to run at 4.1 Ghz, does it?

And while there are great overclocking gadgets out there, the software that allows you to say: OC now (4.1 Ghz), I'm gaming, and stop overclocking, I'm going to surf, isn't really around now, is it?

11. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

I got a 760 and I cant get it above 3.9GHZ because it gets too hot with my corsair H50 it reaches above 70c if I use 1.3v and 4ghz. I think it could be my motherboard is causing problems though. This Maximus III Gene is a very unstable motherboard (Even when my CPU is not overclocked)

PS> If I am not gaming I have my CPU set to stock bios settings with asus profile.

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

figures compared to 930/950 ?

13. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Has anyone been able to replicate the power consumption figures? The difference between this one and the i5-750 is supposed to be in favor of the 750 as it runs at a lower frequency, yet this one manages to consume less, by a significant margin. Have they made more changes than they admitted, or have Bit-Tech just gotten lucky with that sample chip?

14. ulfar

doesn't the "easy OC"-button-thingy, which can be found on some mobo's, work that way?
    i thought it was like "i got a fever, and the only remedy is more cowbell!*", and then just push it again to switch off the oc (after rebooting or whatever).

*cowbell being power in this case

15. ulfar

might be due to various reasons (as mentioned in the article).
    could be better energy management, the "lack" of turbo boost, or just bt being "lucky" with this chip.

16. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Intel Turbostep :)

17. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but it's mentioned that the thing performed somewhat more slowly in a couple of instance than the 750, then you're surprised that it draws less power.

Um. Well, yes?

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Paul, on which exact board and BIOS did you test? I'm trying to dig a little deeper into the turbo boost thing. The review states you use a H55M-UD2H, but when i looked at your picture to see the revision number, it turns out you posted a pic of the P55A-UD3R (rev 1.0).

The UD2H shows compatibility on the 760 starting at F9 BIOS, and then a turbo boost fix at F10. Worth a little test? :naughty:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3503#

The story is exactly the same for the P55A-UD3R aswell by the way, i5-750 support from F9 upwards, and a turbo boost fix at F10.

Also, doesn't the fact that some boards need a BIOS update to support this CPU at all imply that there is more going on under the hood then a simple multiplier bump?

19. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I got mine awhile ago and didn't notice any such lack in the turbo boost, using my ga-p55a-ud3 and everything on stock it would clock up to around 3.3ghz with a single core being used and would run the multiplier at 22x even with all four cores loaded rather than the base 21. This was even before upgrading the bios (there was a mistake on the gigabyte website, when I looked, where it said all the processors needed F8 to work and I didn't bother checking again till I got round to over clocking it).

20. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Looking to OC it when I have it. Whats the best way to oc it so its only oced when I need it eg in games but not generally? is the Hotkey OC from gigabyte any good?

Tags: Add Tags