1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Phobya case design competition, with Aquatuning

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 1 Nov 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Those are some demanding specs! Does the full tower have to have a rad in the top and bottom? Or can it just be 2 internal radiators in general?

3. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

From the article:
    Design Guidlines
    You have the choice of designing a case based on a midi-tower or full-tower or a unique design of your own. The following specifications must be considered but aren't mandatory.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

This seems like a really exciting competition! One to really get your teeth into. I'm in!

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Indeed! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Sure they're mandatory, or do you really think that Phobya/Aquatuning is going to build custom rads and reservoirs?

With the specs given, they clearly have some designs in mind allready, so why bother trying to be creative at all and not just built a standard TJ07 or ACS840?

"...the case must be easy to build..." That's basically throwing 95% of the possible designs out of the window to begin with, as we're tied to industrial manufacturing and design.

And extra points for updates?!?!? What updates? Desiging a case isn't a long WIP actually, but only a task of a few days, if you're used to that kind of work.
    So as someone with a finished design to start with I get shafted?!?

---

Sorry, but the rules for the contest do suck very hard :duh:

7. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Hi,

The specs are not mandatory its just a list to give you an idea of what we would expect to see in a case of that size, you can put in what you like.

And yes we have the ability to build custom rads and res's nps by we would expect that most entries would use standard size components to make the cases universal.

For the buils we need to be able to lasercut it and fold it thats about the only limitations the cases will be built in smallish batches so the general rules of mass production will not apply.

and as for the WIP the idea is to show your design take comments and feedback and possible update it with these suggestions if you see fit.

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Last point is especially true. If you think you can design the perfect case in a few days then I'd say you'd be a fool not to post your design and then incorporate any feedback you get from the community. This is half the point of the competition. Nothing is perfect after all.

No you won't be shafted. Stage one is for concepts and discussion. If you already have a finished design then you could post some simplified examples of it to get some feedback.The deadline is 28th Nov so you can post it then if you want, after that people will need to stick to their designs so copying isn't an issue.

9. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

Is this competition open to international users :)?

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wow this sounds great, I bet we see some amazing ideas from this, I'm a total water cooling newb though & lack some skills in the design area so all my designs are no thrills & no tubing & make all my own models so I can count myself out as mine would look like garbage compared to many here, but I'll be keen to see the winning design :).

11. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

Lol I came up with an idea couple of months ago so this is a excellent competition

And if you guys don't build it I'll build it myself ;)

12. bobisgod

bobisgod What's a Dremel?

EDIT: Saw Combatus's comment in a different thread. NVM

13. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

[​IMG]

Just the start of mine!

14. aquatuning

looking good :)

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Matt, your res owns!

Cool competition! I'll definately get my own design in there, my head is already spinning with more ideas then you can shake a radiator at. First installments tonight!

To the nay-sayers, it's their competition, they can set you any design limits they want. Besides, if they are to actually build and sell this case, ofcourse it's going to be impossible to make it one of these outlandish designs that populate the buildlogs and the MNPCTech design compos. This is a different challenge however, and in some ways, much harder.

16. aquatuning

Thanks for your support we look forward to your design :)

17. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

looks like an epic design contest. will get going after the weekend. Is this open to international users or just the UK?

18. aquatuning

international :)

19. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

This.

The way I see it, laser cut, punch, fold + rivet is my goal.

Hell, if they don't make this case, I will :D

And the trollface on res is a watermark xD

20. aquatuning

well put :)

Tags: Add Tags