1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming 3D Gaming Investigated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 2 Nov 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

still waiting on the 23.5in Acer GD235HZ review

3d at the moment is 'early adopter' and considering that its quite cheap - 29 quid for an upgrade like 3d seems a joke - how many RAT's were sold?

ok its not mainstream, its fairly uncomfy after 10 mins (it does have a much used off switch in easy reach) but when it works its great....

havent used it for a few weeks I suppose but then again the same could be said of the 1k projector in the corner.

3. Invectus

Invectus What's a Dremel?

no one really knows the long-term effect of being exposed to 3d tech like this, causing headache after 20 min? that cant be good.

4. brokenthinker

brokenthinker What's a Dremel?

I would liked to of seen a 3D review on Battlefield Bad Company 2

5. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

I have been excited at the prospect of 3d gaming since Quake. As a persistent owner of the cutting edge technology, I am still surprised by my reluctance to buy in, even after years of availability in one form or another. It's just not there yet for the PC. My problem is that I focus all of my spending on the highest possible visual quality- ridiculous pixel pitches and VGA cards that crank out maximum AA and AS- and all current 3d is a step (or twelve) down. Displays are one of the biggest problems; once spoiled by IPS color gamut, any TN display looks bland, not to mention the blurriness that is inherent in 3d displays. I hate the thought of rolling back effects to DX7 to get a good 3d rendering, which is something that console gamers have no perspective on, making home televisions a good market for the present tech. Thumby-controller gamers will be thrilled to play their blocky, clunky games on a 3d television set, while critical, scrutinizing PC gamers like myself are still unimpressed. I must be clear- I do not feel that I am entitled to better technology, or that the industry owes me something. My point is that my dollars, quid, and euros will stay in my pocket for the time being. I would spend a thousand USD today if I could play the STALKER series in a 3d stereoscopic environment at the current level of quality that I play at in 2d. Until then, I won't even try.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

3D gaming isn't ready yet. it's same as 3D film and any other currently 2D media format.

a complete new way to represent the media is needed: holograms. also, a completely new way to showcase a scene is needed. (eg. how would you show action using hologram? Marty McFly getting eaten by holographic shark in Back to the Future 2 is a good use of 3D)

all current attempts at 3D, including Avatar, just adds a little bit of distracting depth to an already busy scene. save your money and go for a proper IPS/VA screen for now.

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

3D is here to stay, but only because manufacturers refuse to let it die gracefully. Sure, a few people will fall for the hype, but generally speaking 3D doesn't provide enough of an improvement over HD to make people replace their 3 year old £1k tv's.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

One of my friends has Nvidia's 3D Vision glasses on is rig. I got to play a bit of Left 4 Dead with them with mixed feelings.

I was impressed that the game models translated well into a tactile 3D environment, but having to wear gimpy shades, obscured hud, eye strain et al really killed it. As his kit was unfamiliar, I kept having to peer under the shades to find keys on the keyboard while trying to avoid being chewed out by the opposing team.

Also, it requires using a TN panel? I need to buy a new monitor sometime soon, but it'll either be PVA or IPS. I'm just not take the hit in IQ just to have a wanky implementation of 3D.

9. memeroot

I would guess that 3 screens == running 3d.

it's basically a 50% cut in frame rate so get another card and sli.

I don't recommend choosing 3d instead of IPS or otherwise but if you have an IPS you could either have another or a 3D screen and personally I think the latter adds more.

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think in a racing game you're more likely to see a skill improvement from a 3 monitor setup (that's how I feel when playing F1 2010 in cockpit view).

12. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

You had me applauding at this point so I was quite surprised and disappointed when I clicked next and found a full page of meaningless statistical analysis.

13. memeroot

yep - "indication of general consensus" hardly describes anything that can be taken from those results.... doesn't mean the article was pointless though.

14. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I have tried ut2004 which is an interesting comparison. With 3D hitscan suffers, basically because you don't need depth for hitscan and with 3D off the 120hz refresh of the monitor makes it easier to aim. However projectile weapons (rockets, flak, etc) were easier in 3D as it was easier to judge an opponents distance, particularly the change in distance as they move at an angle across your fov and it was easier to judge the speed of your rockets/etc as they headed for that opponent.

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Im surprised a the blocky comment having played a considerable amount of 3d games on PS3 sat in front of a 52" screen and knowing that in the PS3 case its rendering half the 720p resolution per eye and typically lacks AA, I expected that to be super blocky but it wasn't terrible, OK it wasn't crisp but console games never are, a PC being able to do the full resolution should look superb on a 1080p large TV set though.

16. memeroot

I dont notice resolution half as much in 3d - the image just looks more real.

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I still haven't tried it, but for a start I don't fancy wearing glasses over my glasses. I also can't stand technologies in their infancy. If this catches on it'll be a hundred times better in 5 years, I'll try it out then.

18. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

You're right, headaches after 20 minutes sounds awful!

I can use it for hours and no adverse effects.

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Which view did you use for playing Grid? Articles about GT5 in 3D have commented that it makes the in car view the best choice as its much easier to hit apexes and its what your used too in real life. I think Mirrors Edge would be a great game in 3D as the increased depth perception would add to the free running.

20. Kaihekoa

Kaihekoa What's a Dremel?

The current 3D tech is a gimmick. Immersive holographic 3D instead of gimmicky depth perception will be the true future of 3D gaming.

Tags: Add Tags