1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD outlines CPU roadmap

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 10 Nov 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Any chance of a (link to a) better image?

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

When exactly in 2011 can we expect to see (ie buy) this new CPU architecture?

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh thats what I want to know and will it be backwards comptatible with AM3 or am I looking at a new mobo (I thinkI already know the answer to the last part of that question :( )

5. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

6. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

Yeah that image is far too small to see properly, I really hope that they can release a quad core Zambezi CPU in January for Enthusiasts wanting an alternative to Sandy Bridge.

7. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I just want a new AMD cpu architecture out there so it can kick Intel's ass and give me a reason to upgrade from my pc. I'm really tired seeing new cpu's being launched and the architecture is maintained, the oldie K10 based on K8.

Come on AMD! Show what you're made of!

8. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

This roadmap show an "enhanced" bulldozer in 2012 and a next generation version of it :

[​IMG]

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If AMD can leverage its GPU supremacy to CPUs a new era will dawn!

10. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

edit:linkfail

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I'd doze off before anything launches...

13. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Already have an AM3 board, so I hope some of these are compatible... Anyway, It's time for me to retire my venerable Q6600 to a new AMD ou Intel cpu... Let the fight begin :)

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Boas!
    That can be arranged:
    [​IMG]

15. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I'm disappointed at no launch dates, but why would you have expected pricing on products that aren't going to be released for between 3 (Bobcat-based products) and 9 (Llano-based products) months? This is a long time in technology-land, and depends a lot on what Intel has done with Sandybridge.

With desktop, laptop and server roadmaps: http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/19948

Good new!! The rumours (and we all know how reliable these are, although this is hinted by AMD) is that things are going well on Bulldozer on 32nm and the launch might be brought back in to late Q2, which is May/June. So, Zambezi for mid-year.

Bad news!! AMD is still having trouble with Llano (integrated CPU +GPU = APU) on 32nm and is being pushed further into Q3.
    Update: Saw a quote from AMD VP Rick Bergman saying that Llano is on track for shipping "H1 2011", so June or so. Perhaps they are now more confident of production yields for the 32nm APU's.

You are looking for a new mobo. Zambezi will be released on a new revised AM3 socket called AM3r2. Why, I have no idea. Hopefully the fact it is described as a revised AM3 means that current AM3 CPUs are pin compatible, as this might mean a helpful upgrade path (buying mobo first and Zambezi later on).
    I'd be careful though, as AM3r2 could become the next S754. As the above roadmap shows the Zambezi replacement Komodo will have a integrated GPU, so will it need a new socket with more pins?

Llano will also need a new mobo, because there will surely be a new socket due to the integrated GPU requiring more pins.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  16. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

SFF on 40nm? why?

17. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

You're going to have to expand your thought a bit.
    Otherwise my answer is going to have to be "Why not?"

Why 40nm with Zacate/Ontario and not 32nm or 28nm?
    * 40nm is here now,
    * 32nm isn't ready yet, and there is no spare capacity with Bulldozer and Llano to be made in the 32nm fab. 32nm is SOI and it is more expensive than bulk silicon. This is probably a consideration on a chip that is to compete with Atom,
    * 28nm isn't ready yet, and won't be until next year, probably Q2 earliest, and even then you wouldn't want your first design on it to be a x86 CPU.

Does this answer your enquiry?

18. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

All of this is great news on paper and even better if it performs well as a package.

I deally what I would like to see is a desktop version of the laptop power saving utility to switch between on board and gaming graphics (desktop use switches to fusion style GPU, but the ability to swtich to say Radeon 6970 or Nvidia GTX580.

Tags: Add Tags