1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GTX 580 power limit bypassed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

Time to turn on Overchrage on my Personal Nuclear Power Plant!

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

+1 :D

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

It's interesting to note that StarCraft 2 is far from the only game that exhibits that problem, so anyone using this should be wary. Many games lack framelimiting in the menus or loading screens (or any time when the game world is not being rendered).

Crysis, for instance, doesn't seem to limit frames while in the menu or loading screens. I can see the framerate jumping up to just under 1000fps on my GTX275 at the menus in Crysis and all the way until it gets in-game. Not that I need to see it, as my GTX275 tends to capacitor-squeal when working like crazy.

Many other games exhibit this behaviour, so players be warned - StarCraft 2 isn't the only game that could drive a GTX580 crazy with this hack. :)

5. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Cue a malware writting ejit thinking wouldn't it be fun to write this into his latest trojan as a immediate executable when a gtx580 is detected!

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

As you say, Zurechial, Starcraft 2 isn't the only game that causes the GPUs to 'overwork' in menus - Magic: the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers does the same if Vsync is disabled. I imagine lots of others do, too, but I tend to run with Vsync forced on, as tearing (even a little bit) drives me up the wall...

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Batman AA is another game that uses no frame limiter in the menu or pause screen.
    Notice how your GPU fan spins like no tomorrow in the menu or when you pause the game, while in the game, where you would think you stress the GPU, the fan is fairly quiet in comparison.

8. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Nobody else noticed this is comfortably outside ATX spec?

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Can we tweak it so it'll go to say, 300W?

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So what exactly does this thing do? It just limits the maximum power draw? Is there any performance gain to be had? And how will you supply a card with 350 Watt?! PCI-E slots give you75 Watt, each 8-pin connector another 150. That adds up to 375... pretty close if you ask me. Unless they added a 3rd 8-pin that I missed.

11. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

<-------'Going out to get marshmallows'

12. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

As the article says, there's no benefit to this modification with real-life usage, only with benchmarks. It could be useful with OCing, but you would risk burning out the card/mainboard any time you hit something like that non-framerate limited menu of SC2 :)

13. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

but you would risk burning out the card/mainboard any time you hit something like that non-framerate limited menu of SC2 :)

hasn't that been patched yet?

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

150w + 75w + 75w

8pin + 6 pin + pcie slot

you'd think something gotta give- water cooling at 350w would probably be a good idea to keep temps down on the gpu

15. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

Hard core but i can see somevery sad people if this start fragging motherboards and tripping out PSU's.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's like those 150mph limiters on modern saloons, why would you want to take it off if you are not going to take it on the tracks?

allowing it is just dangerous, it should only be done by reviewers and extreme overclockers, normal users should not be allowed to have such simple tool.

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I, for one, cannot wait for the GTX 595, with it's "Conservative" 400W limiter, and 6 8-Pin PCI-E connectors.

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You mean a 24pin motherboard connector :)

19. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Yes. See that wonderful little checkbox labelled "VSync"? Click that and the problems are gone forever.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Anakha, games should not need to limit their needs to account for poorly designed, power hungry chips.

Tags: Add Tags