1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI X58A-GD65 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 24 Nov 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I'll stick with the sabretooth, cheers!

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Reviewing a motherboard should not include any comments about the choice of colours.

Some like the Sabretooth, some like the MSI, others like the EVGA-colours etc... It's not your task to judge about taste.

Other then that, it seems like the biggest problem of this board is the SATA-performance and with this problem in place it's no wonder that all other tests, where there's disk-activity are suffering.

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I'd disagree with you there. The colour is a matter of individual taste, sure, but that doesn't mean the opinions of the reviewer should be removed and only facts recorded. As long as it's clearly stated that it's an opinion then there shouldn't be any problem with it - all it does is get you thinking about your opinion on it.

5. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Considering that the Sabertooth is 200$ on Newegg today, there's no reason to go with this budget board. Ah well, sorry MSI.

6. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Stating that another board is better because it's a different colour is just silly though. I buy hardware based on it's price/performance ratio, not on the colour of the heatsinks or the colour of the circuit board.

7. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

If you notice, despite mentioning it in the review, the final score does not take Design into account (unless the heatsinks were not adequate, which is not an aesthetic thing, and is regardless not related to color). Design is taken into account for Cases, as one normally interacts with their case on a daily basis.

8. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Nice review Lizard, I upgraded one of my folding rigs with this board a few months back. You noted the PCI-E layout was good, this is what attracted me to this particular board. Just a shame I paid a premium for it when it first hit the shelves (luckily on a Scan deal with a 950).

I've noticed that on MSI's site the Board has been revised with a better looking MOSFET heat sink...I recently questioned this on their forum, it was suggested that the most likely reason was for looks but I'm not convinced!

Regarding the Bios, I cant seem to understand how the CPU vcore increase works, I mean what vcore is reported in Windows with a +400mV increase?

For folding I'm currently dialing in a conservative +120mV with a 160MHz bclk using the x24 multi for a 3.85GHz oc & the temps are pretty high. Maybe I've got a bad chip?

I may give your voltages a try to see if I can hit 4.4GHz but I honestly can't see them being very practical for folding but with this big freeze in the UK I might just be ok.

Also the Sata 3 performance made me laugh, I just couldn't understand why it was so bad when I first tested. I'd like to note that using the ICH10R controller I get really good ATTO marks using a Sandforce 60GB SSD around 250 MB/sec read/write.

EDIT: Just realised that enabling turbo messes up the CPU VID (+120mV, 1.32v in Windows). Now running a 20x 200MHz setup (+300mV 1.32V in Windows). Temperature seems fine at 65/70C under Prime 95, will try shooting for 4.4GHz next. Thanks for the settings btw.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2010
  9. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

:sigh:

10. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Apologies Paul :duh:. It's a decent board but I reckon MSI need to do a better job at cooling their chipsets to really appeal to the enthusiast.

Tags: Add Tags