1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 8 Dec 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

What I really want, it this with media controls instead of volume. Tempting ntl.

3. x_phir3

x_phir3 What's a Dremel?

OMG... Saitek Eclipse 100% replica ...

4. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Date is wrong again like the Razor 'best' headphones article. Says 11th December 2009.

Please fix as after today it'll disappear from the front page as all the articles are arranged in date order.

5. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Unfortunately that's because it's using the same URL (for SEO reasons) as an article that was published on that date. For that reason we're not going to change the date.

That would have been true pre-April with the old bit-tech site design, but since then running order of articles is controlled by us (the editorial team), not the automatic calendar.

6. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Hmm, I like. My lycosa is falling to bits and i'm in the mood for a replacement. Shame it only comes in red as it won't match any of my other desktop bits. Any word on other colours, ie blue?

7. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Sorry, but I find myself unable to use another keyboard since being spoiled with Logitchs LCD offerings. I started with a G15, and immediately jumped on the G19.

Macro keys are handy in more situations than just gaming (that goes for most KB's with programable Macro keys), but having that LCD is such an awesome nicety. Seing who's speaking on Teamspeak or watching youtube videos while waiting for a server to fillup or a raid to form... checking your email, skyping all while playing fullscreen games. IMO it's worth the entry price... Besides there are so many iterations of the basic LCD keyboards now at affordable price points there's just no excuse not to try one out unless you're anti-logitech.

Be warned though, the G19 doesn't have near the same level of end user apps as the vanilla LCD screen found on the other models.

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

I have the original Eclipse and it's still the best keyboard I've ever used, bar none. The Eclipse II was OK, but somehow not quite as good

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Might want to search for the Saitek Eclipse II. Very similar but you can change the colour of the backlighting.

10. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I've owned the Eclipse and currently own the Eclipse II. My only complaint about either is that the paint starts to wear off of the keys (especially the WASD keys) in about a month.

11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I agree. It's a shame manufacturers limited their potential market by making these kind of decisions.

I'm not saying they should put in additional lights so you can choose (and bump the price up too) but they could at least make different variants if that is more economically viable.

However good this is, I wouldn't buy it because its red. :(

12. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

The Best Gaming Headphones article posted a couple of days ago which was dated Jan 2010 has disappeared from the main page.

13. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

To be honest I find it hard to see how you justify this as a gaming keyboard. What is the criteria these days to class a keyboard as 'Gaming'?

I don't need my keyboard to be a USB hub or Mic/Headphone pass through, But with no media controls, no macro keys at all and limited backlighting this keyboard is not for me.

What would be perfect for me is something like the £35 Microsoft X4 but with blue lighting.

14. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Ah, I see what you mean now - it's because (on the homepage at least) it's not longer a featured article.

We'll re-feature it on the homepage whenever there's a new headset/keyboard worthy of being shortlisted as one of the best.

In the meantime you can still find it on the hardware homepage and by searching for it too though (which is what this article was specifically optimised for).

15. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

@S.Frog ...I have that keyboard and it's pretty good. Two niggles tho...

The keys while having a nice action are a bit too claky-loud.

And the wrist rest is too shallow. The funny thing is that it isn't uncomfortable, it's just not truely comfortable! If you know what I mean?

16. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

@fingerbob69... The keys may be a little 'clacky' (Iwouldn't know as I haven't tested one as I am not interested due to it's red lighting limitatins) but you can understand the slight cost cutting there as they have everything else you could want. Macros, media controls... etc, and for a very good pricepoint.

I guess the wrist support is also a personal preference, maybe your issue could be sorted with a 5m layer of rubber or foam?

17. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

Please test the Razer BlackWidow. Pretty please.

18. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Best keyboard I ever owned and used/-ing is BTC 9110 [designed for Windows 98 and NT4.0, oh yes..! LOL]. Bought few of them and I can't work on any other. Simply supreme. Very easy to clean, every one working perfectly for at least 8 years [PS/2], tough and sturdy. Great layout. Very soft keys. Simple and effective. All for equivalent of ~7 Pounds.

Tried and tested a lot of kbrs for past decade, but not single one came even close to 9110. Supposedly well established brands just channeling whole steam into the whistle forgetting along the way what for keyboard is. And some layouts and designs deserve nothing less that punishment by firing squad.

19. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It's inbound I believe!

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Logitech G510 and G19 please :)

having a LCD is very very handy, same as mpr, but i can't do as much with my G15 LCD. seeing who's talking on TS3/Vent, see my score on BFBC2, see recording status of FRAPS, see which song is playing on iTunes and see CPU temperature while stressing it with monitor turned off is brilliant.

i really can't see how that keyboard is considered gaming keyboard without macro keys, it is the very basic for a gaming keyboard. it saves soooo much little-finger strain when using 1 key to launch Steam overlay, and it makes mid-game strategy so easy (eg. "use smoke for cover" or "flank left" or "spawn on me", last one is very important while flying a chopper at the same time)

Tags: Add Tags