1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 1gb 8400 gs for phyX?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mansueto, 18 Mar 2011.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

As the title says, was thinking of picking up batman (yea, about damn time) and from the bit-tech review they said a 260GTX and a 9800 GTX for phyX is recommended but the review also said they ran it on a single card with phyX enabled no problem. Would my system benefit from throwing a 1gb 8400 GS into it (have a spare, only reason I'm asking) and would framerates be decent at 1920 x 1200? I may be able to grab my old 8800 GT which I donated to my brother, but seeing as he only does web browsing I could just take it and give him his 8400 GS back.

I won't spend money to get the extra visuals, just trying to make use of what I have and wondering if it's worth the bother of digging it out and installing it.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Member

I don't think it's really worth doing, a 8400 would probably only be a bottleneck, an 8800 on the other hand could possibly work, but I wouldn't expect a big increase in fps/quality.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

As awesome as it would be to get a new gpu and use my 260GTX for phyX it just doesn't seem very efficient plus I have no need to upgrade at this point in time. oh well.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

No mate. I actually tried using a 8400 as a PhysX card for giggles. It seriously made Cryostasis go slower.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes, anything less than a 9600gt (64 shaders) will actually slow your game down!