1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos 1st attempted sunset

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by wizzy2k5, 26 Sep 2007.

1. wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5 what???

Now i think i could of done slightly better on this one but its my first time trying this so here we go

[​IMG]
    Before

Just changed a setting on my camera to the sunset scene and took the photo

[​IMG]
    After

Made a few changes to contrast , highlights etc.....

[​IMG]
    Finished

and i fineally cropped it

2. ajack

ajack rox

The sky is nice, but the bottom of the shot is too orange in my opinion, it looks unnatural. I'd also be tempted to crop out that triangle of sand in the bottom left and straighten up the horizon.

3. wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5 what???

I have had another go, the triangle has been cropped out and I have also attempted to straighten it, I have also tried to do some work on the bottom.
    Here is attempt number 2

[​IMG]

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It's could have or could've. NOT could of :) /grammar nazi/

I like the sepia tones, very easy on the eye. I'm glad you levelled the horizon in the last pic!

What camera did you use?

5. wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5 what???

for that pic I used my Samsung S850. Changed the scene mode to sunset, took the photo and put it into my photo editor to work on. I can see a dramatic improvement from the original picture. May need the odd tweak here and there for absolute perfection. If anyone would like a try feel free to download and have a go, I don't mind.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

A neat trick is to set the camera white balance to Shadow (if you can do that). It tries to compensate for cold light by boosting warm tints. Sometimes that is all you need to give an image some extra warmth and is more subtle.

7. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

She sky looks quite interesting, but the image you've posted hasn't quite captured the vibrancy I imagine was on display at the time. Your first image is very flat with little contrast. The one taken on 'sunset' is better but it's been a little over zealous with the saturation making it stark orange and contrast resulting in blowing out the section of open sky when in fact it should be a lovely gradient of colour.

I took your shot and whipped a couple of levels and curves over it in Photoshop to produce the following which has a boost in contrast but not overly so, and is less monochromatic than your sunset scene taken ones.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think.

In future shots, also try and keep your horizons straight and think about the rule of thirds. In that picture the horizon is cutting right through the centre of the frame. If you were to shift that line slightly up or down, it'd be even nicer. Kneeling down to take the shot may have meant the beach and water could fill the bottom third of the frame with the sunset the main feature for the upper two thirds. :)

8. wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5 what???

The white balance to shadow :eyebrow: i haven't seen that in my camera :( but I am getting a new one soon which has alot more features than this one, such as all this raw editing and such. The above pic looks alot nicer aswell and doesn't look over orange like mine did, I tried to do as much as I could but have only started with photoshop elements a few weeks ago but i'll get use to it :D I hope

9. joytime360

joytime360 What's a Dremel?

I think the photo looks strange , not that ones that I've looked .

10. joytime360

joytime360 What's a Dremel?

The whole pic looks depressing .

Tags: