1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 1st mod , updated pic's 26th april

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 0013, 7 Mar 2004.

1. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

but not with a 20 metre power cord! "borrowed" it from a vacuum cleaner :)
    stealing parents tools is cheaper then getting a dremel, especialy with a tool-junky dad like mine

but will it take revenge for neutering? this one sure tries (*ignore spelling)

stay away from it, MINE MINE
    but tnx :)

2. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

Cute cat :D
    Nice job as well :thumb:

3. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

did some painting last saturday, and today i had time to check what it became and work further, i do not totally enjoy the outcome:(

it appears the paint sticks better to the plastic bezel then to the metal panels, this while it doesn't mention plastic on the can :sigh: so today i oculd start all over again on the panels :( kinda shame because the colour turned out just perfect :brrr:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kevplus2

kevplus2 What's a Dremel?

regular spray paint will usually make plastic gooey and takes forever to dry. the new "fusion" spray paint by krylon works great on plastic (is designed for it) and since it bonds on a molecular level with the plastic (sounds just like the commercial eh?), it doesn't flake off

5. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

tnx for the commercial :D, but the plastic isn't the problem here :)

i took every black paint off and used thinner to remove as much dirt/dust as possible but when i tried first, the paint didnt seem to bee effected by the tinner, must i be happy or sad about this ?

6. GNU rider

GNU rider What's a Dremel?

primer.

get some metal primer, if you can get some specific for steel, as your case looks like its steel

then in this order,

sand down the metal with a high grit sandpaper until the top layer is off (you want to keep the original manufactures base layer on)

then use the primer on it, wait 10 min, do it again, in nice even thin coats

let it dry for a day or two

then use your paint.

thats how i do it, and i have a very scratch resistant paint job on one of my cases

7. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

the first layer of primer is drying at the moment( has been for the last 18 hours :D) and a second one will be brought on later, i will probably need more layers then one because on some places i damaged the factory paint a little bit more then actually needed and you could see level differences in the paint

i will see how many layers i will need, lets just hope it will be less then 1 mm :D luckily i found my fathers sanding machine so large surfaces can be done smoothly i'll post the outcome

8. t.n.

t.n. What's a Dremel?

moar pics of the cats!!!! :D

9. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

i might post some on my website :) havent posted anything news there since december, might be time ...

10. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

today i've done the powersupply: removed the factory perforation and added a chromed fangrill on the exhaust mounted a front fanintake and added a chromed fanguard there as well

and i finished 2 of the 3 panels, the bezel is still drying (the part that will be alu)

i've inserted the 80mm exhaust fan and the front 92 mm intake fan
    i have 4 fans in there total at the moment( will probably be 6 when i put a system in it but i dont have anything at the moment except a 32 mb pci videocard :thumb:

piccies :)

[​IMG]
    ¾ profile shot the additional power supply fan can clearly be seen( sorry about the dark picture) i ve also tested the powersupply and i could boot my celeron from it, doesn't prove anything about stability but it will not fry my mobo, always comforting to know that.

[​IMG]
    rear shot, no need for explanation

[​IMG]

a little preview how the front ,top and not windowed panel will look like, the windowed panel is not done painting yet because i had to add 2 extra layers of primer before i had a pretty smooth surface to work on

*to do list:
    - do the window
    - mount the blue power and the blue HDD led under the transparent buttons, the buttons already work just need to be attached
    - find internals :lol:
    - get it as fast as i can

any suggestions ?

11. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

Nice mods! /subscribing now/.
    Your window looks nice. Keep on the good work!

(Vooral die "deuk" was leuk :lol:)

cheers! Xeno out.

12. l'edo

l'edo What's a Dremel?

looking interesting till now...
    so keep on modding ;)

and how did you cut the window?

13. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

i'm just happy i didnt dent (deuk dus) the thing, i did scratch it :)

tnx, i will
    i punched/stamped it same process they cut the standard perforation in cases, i used for the round points a 60mm(or 40mm i forgot) diameter stamp and for the straight pieces a 5 by 25 mm stamp.

somehow i wish i got some dremel disks to do it because i damaged the paint quite a bit and because i couldn't remove the stamp from the plate, I each time had to twist it till it was loose ( i couldn't lock it because of the hooks on the edge of the panel) this made me have to repair the paint by using a bit more primer then i wanted to. (5 layers and not totally smooth yet :waah: but i'm out of primer)

14. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

been working on the bezel again i added some mesh to prevent too much dust getting in, and flies too :) the mesh is the same as used in those screens for blocking bugs when you open your windows
    what's the english word for that ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

detail shot of the mesh in reality the 3,5 inch panel above the mesh doesn't look that bad,

on request i can take a shot of the mesh (mess) on the inside of the bezel

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

looks really good actually. keep it up

16. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

this is it for now on this case... saving for interiour at the moment so put a bottle of cheap whisky in to have something to look at

i have tested the buttons/leds and they work i have not taken a picture yet of that... might come when i fill her up
    [​IMG]

17. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

dude! what have you got in there :naughty: ? nice looking case, too.

18. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

it's cheaper here than it is in scandinavia ( they say) so not that special, well i am at college for a reason and i'm not really studying :D

but tnx , case looks good he :naughty:

19. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

For the same reason a 5.25" bay is 5.5" wide. It's a "Bay for a drive that takes 3.5" disks" If it was 3.5" wide, there'd be no way you could insert a floppy into the drive (As the mechanism/slot wouldn't be wide enough)

So, now you know.

[/hijack]

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Looks nice, but you need to paint the area behind the bezel to black as well.