1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st steps on OC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheColdLord, 25 Jun 2006.

1. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

This is my rig:
    Abit KD7-A Socket A
    AMD Barton 2600+ runing @ 1.94 GHZ

I have a few qestions:
    1. I have never atempted OC, so I don't really know from where to start.
    2. I have a coolermaster fan @ the momment but I'm thinking of changing it with a better one. I'm thinkinh about to buy a Gigabyte PCU22-VG Heatpipe-CPU cooler. I've heard that it is the best at the momment but I wan't to hear your oppinions to.
    3. My rig is allways open, and I my room is always at a 22-21 degrees(air conditioning), how dose this influence the cpu temps? What program should I use to see what the temps are?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Speedfan seems to be the weapon of choice, I'd load it and see how hot things are at stock speeds.

3. TheColdLord

Well I really don't know wich is wich..... Temp1:53C,Temp2:51C,Temp:41,HD0:21(Cooled by a Vantec Vanessa :D), temp1:35C....
    I really don't understand wich is whos temperatures here. The temps are in IDLE, not full load. Any suggestion what can I use to see the full load temps?

4. TheColdLord

Oh and there is another Issue.....Fan1:2394RPM, Fan2:0RPM...... :duh: :wallbash: :eyebrow: ......I really should be concerned about that shouldn't I..... I know that the 1st fan is the CPU fan cuz it is spinning but the other one is for the Northbridge(I think), it is a very small fan that when I last checked(about about 3 months ago)went at 5000rpm(very small fan), but I knew it isn't working...still I haven't found any substitute for it, and even though it works for the momment and @ good temps too, the heatsink is still on it.

5. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

is yor board supported by AbitEQ?
    Also MBM5 may have support for it.

6. TheColdLord

The only thing I know that it should have is the uGuru. Also as I know it the Barton has very good OC capability.

7. TheColdLord

No it isn't supported by AbitEQ, it supports FanEQ(sorry but that is the only thing that is written on the back of the box in wich the mobo came.)

8. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

To see the full load temps, you have to load the computer. IE run some tasks that make the computer really work hard. Prime95 is a common choice. Google it. Run that for several hours (two iterations, if you have a dual core), and then check the temps.

And as for Fan2 having 0 RPM... It may not be plugged in. For instance, on my motherboard, my PSU fan plugs into the Fan2 slot, there isn't on there already. This may be the cause. Clearly if all the fans ARE spinning, then the sensor is wrong, or not in use.

As for identifying which temperature is which, if I understand you correctly, you have three unknown temperatures, 1,2, and 3.

To find which is the CPU temperature, run Prime95, or your stress test of choice, and then look at the temperatures. The temperature that has jumped the most, is likely to be your CPU.

9. TheColdLord

Yes I know that part with the temp jump...the same thing happens if I lower my fan voltage\lower the rpm. The AMD Barton isn't even 64 bit processor, not to mention dual core. As for the 0 rpm speed....well it dosn't spin...the sensor is showing it correctly... even so the fact is that I knew it wasn't spinning and I can't really find a replacement for the damn cooler. It dosn't really matter, at least that is what I think. BTW it is plugged in.

10. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Oh ok... Well... Two thirds of my post was useless then ;) But Prime95 stands as the way to load your processor :p

If the temperatures are fine without the fan on... leave it!

11. TheColdLord

Well I stress tested it with prime95 for 2 hours and it went up to max 52 degrees. The CPU reached 58 degres on full load....don't reall know if thats good or bad. I will have to stress test it a little longer for about 8 hours to see but it went ok IMHO...