1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 1U Server Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by caleb68, 14 Jul 2011.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

2. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

its novec HFE-7000 ("novec" is the name of the whole line of electrical cleaning, lubricating, and thermal transfer compounds made by 3M).

it runs somewhere in the range of $250/gal.

another option if you wanted to go as exotic as submersion cooling would be duponts vertrel fluid which has similar properties to the 3M stuff but its "only" $120/gal. you sacrifice temps though since the vertrel boils at 55C.

3. caleb68

caleb68 What's a Dremel?

Each server runs between 15-26C Honestly while i see several methods of doing total submersion, i don't see a practical way to do total submersion for 6 units and still keep the versatility of being able to remove a single unit from the chain.

Mind you this is mainly noise levels that we are trying to reduce not running temp itself. In a inclosed server rack the total noise produced by the 6 systems is effectively cut by 1/3rd, but its still ear splitting and im sure its the type of fans that are in the units. the fans themselves are double fans, so in reality, there are 14 fans in each unit rather then 7. I'm still looking for a good solution, even the possibilities of buying a open rack unit to modify and turn into a custom closed rack for the units.

We have found one issue already upgrading the software in all the units, requiring the video cards in them to need replaced (no driver support). May end up running in to a few more issues along the way. Now the actual thought of replacing all the server units is crossing the table.

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

was there a reason you steered away from a pretty simple water cooling solution?

5. simfactor

simfactor What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, my first post here. Hello y'all. :D

I was a passive reader, but this 'mineral oiled' server (and PC) discussion in web forums all over the world (literally) is very interesting. Mostly not recommend it, because it's messy (true) and hard to maintain (not quite true).

Well, today I found this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-zzwr2ka-c&feature=related

It's from Midas Green Tech, and they do submerged their server racks into a some kind of mineral oil.

This is an article about them:
    http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...reen-revolutions-immersion-cooling-in-action/

I suggest to read the article first, and then read the comments below the article. There are also comments/answers from the company's staff, Mark T.

For those who want to cooled their PC using mineral oil (not vegetable oil), I have a playlist of submerged PC here (50 videos):
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9EF4EB638BA12050

I want to build one using my current PC. Surprisingly, getting the mineral oil is quite difficult here, especially in small quantity (I need only 20 liters). And here, this oil is better known as paraffin oil. They gave me oil for cars or motorcycles when I asked them about mineral oil :D