1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1U Server... how??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulW, 29 Nov 2005.

1. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Basically I'm looking at co-location hosting my own 1U server...

Requirements:

Forum with enough room for expansion of MANY features & such
    MySQL Database Backend
    POP email addresses for users of the site
    amongst other things...

I've been advised to get one with remote console support, so allowing for access to the BIOS, ability to boot from other devices & such, all from a remote term on my own PC... but finding something to do this is difficult...

Doesnt need to be mega spec, just a plain old P4 will do or AMD or something, as the site isn't mega power-hungry or intensive as yet!

just need something to give me plenty of room for expansion!

Debian or BSD will be used as the primary OS on the system, also what webserver should I run, as I've been told Apache can be pretty light-weight...

Cheers

Paul

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It could be worth a look round to see if you can find a second hand 1U, if your requirements are low. AFAIK remote console isn't a common feature, but once you've got it set up, how often will you be neeeding to reset it?

3. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

not often, but in a way its just an extra peace of mind about making sure its all good & proper!

plus the co-location place is about 20 miles from me, so again, if something serious does happen, then I can just pick it up!

2nd hand I did think about, but I'd rather have something I know has done 0 miles & also has some form of warranty more than a 30 day moneyback one!